NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography Newbe

Hi,

i have the following telescopes & mount and was wondering if this would be a good start for astrophotography. What things would i be able to image, and are they a good base to work from with the option at a later date for upgrading (dedicated ccd, camera etc).

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro.

Skywatcher Explorer 130P.

HEQ5 PRO

Orion Magnificent Mini Autoguider Package

Cannon EOS700D

and have been given a Celestron NexImage 5 (Not sure how good, but would be just for planetary)

I also have Nebulosity 3.

Your coments on this would be much appreciated, as i am new to this and dont really want to get dishartened by people sayin, this is no good, should have gone with this.. etc.

and thanks for any comments posted. Be gentle!. :shocked:

You are considerably more than halfway there and have a great set-up to start deep sky imaging. The 80ED and HEQ5 were a match made in heaven and the Orion Magnificent Mini Autoguider Package completes that nicely for you. The 700D will be capable of some great imaging within the confines of its built in IR filter which will zap a fair chunk of the all important Hydrogen Alpha (Ha) light but you will still be able to achieve some good results with that as your imaging camera.

Solar system imaging requires a different approach and neither of your two telescopes is ideal as they have relatively short focal lengths BUT Lunar imaging is very well within your grasp as is white light imaging of the Sun with a suitable front mounted solar filter.

The only things I would suggest you add are a flatter/reducer for the ED80 or a coma corrector for the 130P. The focal lengths are almost the same with these two telescopes so you probably don't need both of them. The ED80 will likely be easier to get going with. The 130P will be faster if you can tweak it into shape.

If you are interested in DSO imaging, can I suggest getting hold of a copy of the most excellent 'Making Every Photon Count' written by Steve (above!!) and available from his site via the link in his sig. It really is an imagers bible and will really help you.

So far the makings of an excellent setup for imaging. One that many of us have started with in one form or another.

If you are using a DSLR, the dedicated field flattener for the ED80 will be a big help as well.

Well, since you have bought wisely we don't have to tell you to flog it on Ebay and buy something else. Well done, you are pretty well good to go.  :icon_salut:  (In many years of forum participation it might well be the first time I've ever been able to say this!  :grin: )

I'm a deep sky imager so will ignore the SCT for planets, though it should be fine. Others will come along with good advice, I don't doubt.

Neither of your scopes will give a clean, distortion-free flat field 'as is.' The Newt will need a coma corrector and the refractor would love you to buy at a Field Flattener/Focal reducer. You will need to ensure that the camera has the right spacing from the flattener/reducer but this may just happen automatically with a DSLR. I don't know. A good dealer like FLO will tell you what you need.

In your shoes I'd start with the refractor. It isn't so much better as easier but, in a steep learning situation, easier is good.

I'd advise you to read Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards as an intro. Photoshop (from CS2 onwards) is a boon, as is Pixinsight (but this is very difficult. Anyone who disagrees is a genius. If you are a genius this won't matter.)

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

Edit, The others beat me to it, but what is going on? FOUR astrophographers in agreement? This cannot last!!!  :eek: 

The others beat me to it, but what is going on? FOUR astrophographers in agreement? This cannot last!!!  :eek:

I'm desperately trying to think of something to contradict Olly over but, no, sadly we are all indeed in accord - this HAS to be a unique event ......

The SW focal reducer flattener for use with the SW ED80 can be supplied with a compatible Canon bayonet mount and this will achieve the correct spacing to get the best out of the flattening.

Keep the Newt, star spikes are cool :D:evil6:

At last we can disagree! Thanks goodness for that, and many thanks to RikM for talking such abject rubbish and provoking a bit of discussion!!! Do stars have spikes coming out of them? They do not. Ask an astrophysicist.They are an aberration, an abomination and flatly agaist nature and all that's holy.

I'm desperately trying to think of something to contradict Olly over but, no, sadly we are all indeed in accord - this HAS to be a unique event ......

Rubbish! Poppycock!! We all agreed once before in May 1957.

Olly

Archived