Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

mk1 (protected sun) is my imagination gone wild

Scott

I'm almost too embarassed topost this but here goes.

Yesterday afternoon I was looking at the sun with some solar glasses I have and was sure I could see some sort of activity so I git my bins and checked and sure enough I could see something at around 4 o'clock on a clockface. My question is, did I see this or was it more a case of wanting to. How big must they be to see them unmagnified.

I'm feeling silly just typing this now, but curiousity has got the better of me 

I should point out, I had baader film on the bins also :)

Don't want people going blind on my account.

You don't need high power on the sun to see prominences they can be seen very easily at 20 x mag :smiley: I am not sure if Ha filtering is a possibility with solar glasses :smiley:

You can use this web page " solarham.com" to see what activity was going on at 4 O'clock yesterday

You don't need high power on the sun to see prominences they can be seen very easily at 20 x mag :smiley: I am not sure if Ha filtering is a possibility with solar glasses :smiley:

You can use this web page " solarham.com" to see what activity was going on at 4 O'clock yesterday

thanks Shaun, I'll have look at that. Sorry, I didn't mean 4pm, I meant 4o'clock, looking at a clock :)

Scott, I imagine you saw a huuuuge sunspot. It is possible to spot big 'uns using safety solar film to protect your eyes at Mk I eyeball power. I've seen big spots a few times that way.

Here is the more or less live image from the Solar Dynamics Observatory:

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/latest_1024_HMII.jpg

Just look at those big spots! The black "umbra" of the biggest spot is larger than Earth :shocked:

I wouldn't think it was a prom as I have never seen a prom in white light, even with a 120mm scope using a safety Herschel wedge. You typically see proms when using a hydrogen-alpha solar scope (though I think they are possible with CaK sometimes).

I'm almost too embarassed topost this but here goes.

Yesterday afternoon I was looking at the sun with some solar glasses I have and was sure I could see some sort of activity so I git my bins and checked and sure enough I could see something at around 4 o'clock on a clockface. My question is, did I see this or was it more a case of wanting to. How big must they be to see them unmagnified.

I'm feeling silly just typing this now, but curiousity has got the better of me 

I should point out, I had baader film on the bins also :)

Don't want people going blind on my account.

Archived