NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX Mount?

Scorpius

I was hoping to get some opinions (good or bad) on the Celestron Advanced VX mount. I purchased an 8SE a while back and havebeen trying my hand at some planetary imaging with the Neximage 5. I thought I'd done sufficient research before purchasing the 8SE (with standard GoTo mount & tripod) but found out a little late that its Alt Az mount and lightweight tripod aren't considered the best for imaging, especially not for anything other than solar system objects. I tried making a homemade wedge but am just not satisfied with the tracking performance of my current setup so am thinking about "biting the bullet" and getting the advanced VX so I can get accurately polar aligned without a great deal of fuss. I've read the VX was meant to replace the discontinued CG5 ,which apparently was the standard in its class for some time, but is the VX really a step up from the CG5? I found a site where you can still get the CG5 but the difference in cost is negligible so it would seem to make the most sense to spend a few extra bucks and go for the newer model.

Don't mean to ramble but was mainly hoping to find out if the VX mount can handle the Celestron 8" OTA (with whatever dovetail bar that's needed), a 9X50 RACI finder scope (24 oz), a somewhat heavy illuminated reticle eyepiece, a GLP which weighs almost nothing, a prime focus CCD and possibly some type of lightweight guide scope at some point down the road.

I know the CGEM or CGE Pro mounts would be a better choice (if money were no object) but for me, the big difference in cost compared to the VX is definitely a consideration however I don't want to find myself "just short" of having the basic setup needed to tackle some of the brighter DSO's once I get more proficient with planetary imaging. I realize I'll need to upgrade from the Neximage5 before thinking seriously about DSO's but when I get to that point I don't want to find out once again that my mount isn't quite up to the task.

Just joined the forum and chose Stargazers for its reputation of not being too tough on newbies asking newbie questions of the pros.

Thanks & Clear Skies to all...

Welcome to SGL.

In a weeks time I hope to give you an answer as I will be taking possesion of an Advanced VX with a 9.25SCT on it.

Sounds Awesome! - I look forward to hearing your impressions of the VX mount...

I have an Advanced VX which I use with a C9.25 and a Canon 550d with and without a powermate/barlow. In addition I have a Starsense accessory, 50mm finderscope as well as a RDF and heated dew shield and the mount seems to handle the weight with no problem. The literature says that you can use a C11 on the AVX. I will also be using the AVX with an ED80 but I haven't tried that yet.

Peter

I have an Advanced VX which I use with a C9.25 and a Canon 550d with and without a powermate/barlow. In addition I have a Starsense accessory, 50mm finderscope as well as a RDF and heated dew shield and the mount seems to handle the weight with no problem. The literature says that you can use a C11 on the AVX. I will also be using the AVX with an ED80 but I haven't tried that yet.

Peter

Peter, Thanks for the response. Sounds like you're happy with the VX mount and that's with a larger scope than mine. I forgot to mention that I have a heated dew shield as well. It sure is easy to forget to account for all the items that add weight to a mount so I'm glad to hear the VX is doing the job for you with no problems and all the equipment you have attached. Have you found the VX to be relatively easy to achieve a good polar alignment and consistent tracking performance?

I only got the VX in April and have not had many chances to use it due to our usual weather and the lighter evenings. However, when I have used it I have not had any tracking problems. I have not bothered with Polar Alignment as yet as I have only been using it for planetary imaging so far. I am going to start again in Aug/Sept and will be trying for DSOs so will be polar aligning then.

Peter

I understand what you mean about the weather. Although I've had a few cheap dept. store scopes over the years, I never realized how infrequent good seeing conditions can be when you're ready to get more serious about the hobby. Now that I've made the investment in a "real" telescope, I'm quickly realizing the last thing you want is to spend a big chunk of time on a good night trying to get aligned and ready to actually do some observing/imaging. Even still, I can see how amateur astronomy can quickly become an addictive pursuit and an expensive one as well. For what it's worth, I consider the pic of Saturn posted in my gallery (Haven't figured out yet how to attach images to a thread)to be my best attempt at a solar system object so far but that's only made me more anxious to get some better pics of other SS objects with a view toward attempting some of the easier DSO's once I'm confident my own abilities can live up to the equipment's potential. I'm hoping the AVX mount will turn out to be a wise investment so once I'm ready to tackle what I understand to be far more difficult targets, that my equipment won't turn out to be a limiting factor.

From what I can gather, this time of year is not ideal for amateur astronomy anyway so I'm hoping to use this as "practice time" in anticipation of the late fall/winter window of opportunity. One thing that's working in my favor is access do a decent dark sky site on family owned property not far from home. But even so, it's somewhat rare to get a really clear night here in the Shenandoah Valley of VA (due to the hazy summer skies and high humidity) but once the colder weather moves in around Dec, I can easily see the milky way stretching across the sky and Orion seems to "jump right out at you" on most any night. Pretty cold around here by that time though, so will need to get used to layering up on the winter attire and hope that no new issues come to light regarding my equipment.

Wow, didn't mean for this to be such a lengthy post but being new to SGL, it's good to relay my thoughts to folks with a similar level of interest in this amazingly interesting and complex hobby...

To attach an image here, go to the bottom right "more reply options" and it will enable you to attach a thumbnail.

I hope that you get more clear nights than we do in the UK - most of the time for the last 6 months it has been clouded over (or so it seems). Clear nights are quite rare here any time of year.

Peter

Got it, thanks for the info! So the Saturn pic is attached. No big deal compared to some I've seen on here & elsewhere but it's the best I've managed so far and hopefully once I get the AVX mount (looking like that's a distinct possibility at this point), it should make it easier to keep targets on that really small Neximage5 CCD chip which would seem to make for a better final image in the long run.

I've heard a lot of folks say polar alignment isn't really necessary for planetary imaging, which I guess is true, but my thought's would be that it certainly can't hurt and for those completely new to polar alignment and imaging like me, it should provide good practice on setup before targeting objects that do require precise alignment to get good results.

Too bad the weather there doesn't cooperate most of the time but I'm guessing when it does, you don't miss the opportunity to take advantage of it.

Thanks again and hope you see some clear skies very soon...

post-37916-0-18300700-1405007067_thumb.j

Nice Saturn image. With respect to your original question--the AVX and C8: The AVX will have no problem carrying the C8 for visual or imaging, and can carry both the C9.25 and C11 for visual but will be marginal for imaging with the C9.25--the C11 will be way under-mounted. 

DSO imaging is totally different from planetary. Although the AVX is a very decent mount, the HEQ5 mount may be a better option for imaging. It provides better tracking in DEC and supports EQMOD software. Even better (but more expensive and perhaps less easily available in Europe) is the Losmandy GM-8. 

If you are getting started in AP, I would avoid using the C8 for DSO imaging. I'd advise instead getting an inexpensive ED refractor (80mm or even smaller) and learning with that and your chosen mount. The C8 has long focal length which magnifies every error and makes life very frustrating for the beginner. 

Nice Saturn image. With respect to your original question--the AVX and C8: The AVX will have no problem carrying the C8 for visual or imaging, and can carry both the C9.25 and C11 for visual but will be marginal for imaging with the C9.25--the C11 will be way under-mounted. 

DSO imaging is totally different from planetary. Although the AVX is a very decent mount, the HEQ5 mount may be a better option for imaging. It provides better tracking in DEC and supports EQMOD software. Even better (but more expensive and perhaps less easily available in Europe) is the Losmandy GM-8. 

If you are getting started in AP, I would avoid using the C8 for DSO imaging. I'd advise instead getting an inexpensive ED refractor (80mm or even smaller) and learning with that and your chosen mount. The C8 has long focal length which magnifies every error and makes life very frustrating for the beginner.

Thanks for the great info! That HEQ5 Pro mount does look awesome but the cost difference between it and the AVX has me leaning toward the AVX as my "starter" Goto GEM for now. Not only that but the HEQ5 doesn't appear to be readily available in the US and can't seem to find much info regarding its ease of polar alignment which is a big factor that appeals to me with the AVX.

It's good to know the AVX is a viable solution for both visual and imaging with nothing larger than an 8" OTA and in terms of focal length, I already have the 6.3 reducer which is supposed to help with imaging DSO's if I'm understanding its purpose correctly. If I do decide to go with the AVX, do you happen to know which dovetail bar I would need to adapt it to the Celestron 8SE OTA? Is there a dovetail bar available that adapts the 8" OTA to the AVX without any drilling, grinding, etc?

As far as compatible software, I'm just beginning to get comfortable with the nexremote/icap/registrax combination and would prefer to stick with that for now although other software solutions(such as EQMOD)might be something good for me to consider in the future.

Thanks again for the response and any additional info you might be willing to provide...

Stelios raising an interesting point. I have asked a question on the main Celestron AVX thread about whether a long focal length tube of 2000mm is viable and how long you can take unguided subs. I have the 8SE as well and Scorpius raises the very same questions I have had.

I was looking at the HEQ 5 Pro but after comparing the two I am favouring the AVX. Partly the ASPA option appeals to me. Maybe I am being lazy or unwilling to take on the daunting complexity of manual polar alignment with the HEQ..?

I believe the EQMOD issue with the AVX could be over come in another way but I could be wrong.

The idea of a smaller refractor is a good one and something I will be looking at in the future though I just need to get a capable mount first.

I believe the 8SE will fit straight onto the Dove tail bar with no amendments.

Also I think you can control the AVX via Stellarium but does not allow Polar Alighment routines as EQMOD does?

This link here will give your more info. One of the members Kirscovitch has a lot of experience with the AVX.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/206752-celestron-advanced-vx-mount/page-6

After further research I must say - I think the AVX is the mount for me. With the simplicity of ASPA and the familiarity (to me) of already owning an 8SE, plus the difference in cost compared to the Sirius EQ-G and a spare hand control to boot (from the Alt/Az mount)- just don't see how I can go wrong.

I appreciate the responses and great info and once I get setup with the new mount in a week or two, and skies permitting, I'll post my impressions on this thread for future reference by those contemplating upgrading their 8SE to an AVX EQ goto mount...

May your nights be always long and your skies be always clear...

Scorpius

Archived