Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UK Weather This Month?

orly_andico

Hi all,

I will be visiting the UK for the next couple weeks, annual vacation and all that.

While I can't bring along my beloved mount (it would wreck the baggage allowance) I would like to explore doing some wide-field photos while there (I won't even bring a telescope, as I don't have a sufficiently small one).

Questions:

1) My wife and I will be in the Lancaster, Lake District, and Cotswold areas.  What's the weather like these days?  is there a chance of getting even an hour or two of clear sky at night?

2) Does Wide Screen Centre or any of the other London dealers sell (and have available) the Sky Watcher Sky Adventurer mount?

Thanks.

weather is never predictable here for more than a couple of days at best
though recently I've been getting a couple of short nights each week for the last few weeks
I'd think you will get a few good nights out of a couple of weeks and you will be in good locations for some dark skies

Hi, this is the met office take on things.  :smiley:

UK Outlook for Saturday 12 Jul 2014 to Monday 21 Jul 2014:

Rain in the northwest on Saturday is likely to make erratic progress southeastwards through the weekend, followed by clearer but showery conditions. Daytime temperatures near normal under unsettled weather, often warm in fine conditions and very warm in some southeastern parts at first. Into the following week there will be a transition towards a more climatologically typical pattern, with the most unsettled conditions generally towards the northwest of the UK, and the best of the drier and brighter weather to the south and east. Daytime temperatures often near or just above average in the northwest, occasionally below in persistent rain. Warmer to the southeast and very warm at times over some central, eastern and southern parts of England. These conditions look likely to persist for the rest of the period.

Updated: 1207 on Mon 7 Jul 2014

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

I didn't understand any of that Met Office report.   :grin:

Anyhow it seems that FLO is quoting 7-10 days delivery for the Star Adventurer, and I'm flying in on Wednesday.  Looks unlikely.. unless I can pack in my rusty, refurbished Vixen Polaris.

Most (all actually) forecasts I see are not worth anything just 24hrs ahead let alone 7 days. Some couldn't even tell you what the weather was like yesterday let alone tomorrow.... Only in the most general terms do they seem to have value and beyond that I use satellite imagery to predict local sky conditions. 

ChrisH

I haven't checked a forecast for ages as they tend to let you down. However, we've had some really sunny days lately and fairly clear skies (which I missed due to being at work :-( ).

Hopefully the clear skies will continue a while longer

Archived