NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The sky X 6 and eq8 mount

Hello

after doing a two star alignment with handset.. then plugging the eqmod cable I decided to use the sky 6. . When I slewed to vega The white reticle which represents the scope was off the red reticle that represents the target

Bit frustrated

Any advise

EQMOD is designed as a handset replacement and as such provides its own alignment routines and pointing model that operate totally independently from those of the handset. If you're using EQMOD you shouldn't really be doing anything with the handset other than putting it into PC-Direct mode. Switching between EQMOD and the handset will generally result in both becoming confused  - and  that is most likely what you are seeing.

Chris.

Why don't you read on the EQMOD site how to do it or watch one of Chris' video's on the Tube. They are excellent. And it will take the handset out of the equation so no possibility of confusion :smiley:

So in other words do a three star alignment with handset. Place in pc mode. Remove cable and place eqmod and away I go ?

No, reread what Chris typed, only use the handset to place it in PC Direct Mode, then use CdC or Stellarium to align and sync, i generally sync with ever Star or DSO that i slew to..........Get one of these or make your own and do away with the handset all together.... 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

But when u switch on the handset it would ask you to enter time date etc etc and conduct alignment.. so I just cancel that and do pc mode then plug eqmod

I think so having never used the handset, you can test this in daylight if you have a program to show where the stars will be, just slew to the first one and see if the mount goes in roughly the right place, the mount needs to be pointing at Polaris first...

I'm not saying you have to replace the handset, just i think its better to not use one so a dongle would need to be sourced.......

Don't you just need the correct EQDIR cable to plug into the mount?

Archived