Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Running Power from outdoor socket to Observatory

Fordos Moon

I would like to have plug sockets in the roll-off roof observatory I made earlier this year.

There is an outdoor socket on the conservatory about three yards from the observatory that I have been running an extension cable from until now.

But I'd like to run a cable from that point underground and into the shed and then have some sockets inside.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the right cable I need please?

Many thanks

Bob

Armoured cable is what you are after (something like http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/armoured-cable/cat830462). I installed something similar recently (a 50M run to the wife's studio). The cable was the expensive part but I did need a long run of 6mm armoured.

I would also get an electrician to provide a new consumer unit with RCD next to your current consumer unit to connect to the armoured cable and a consumer unit in the observatory.

The CU/RCD  next to the current CU provides protection and allows you to isolate everything including the cable.

The armoured cable provides some protection against stray spades cutting through the cable and will also usually has an extra earth shield which will trip the RCD if it is cut.

The CU in the obs. is for convenience as you wire that up.

If you want to do it more cheaply then I would use armoured cable from an RCD in the conservatory.

3 yards and obsy power only? I'd use a 13A fused spur from the outdoor socket and then bury some 2.5mm 3 core SWA. Incorporate an RCD if you don't already have one on the circuit. Use a 5A fused spur off that in the observatory for lighting.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-switched-weatherproof-rcd-fcu/20523

If you want something more substantial (to run power tools, etc., as well as the observatory) run a sub main from your main fusebox to a garage consumer unit in the obsy. You'll need to calculate the size of the cable by the ampage you want to use at the other end. You'll also have to consider earthing requirements.

I had the same debate when I had my obsy put in.... ran armourcable from the garage to the obsy through 40mm drainage tubing - also ran CAT6 cable in it too... then got a sparky to wire me the 4A/16A internal consumer box... and in the garage, where the fuse box is, he plonked in a trip breaker where we used to have the emersion heater (that was ripped out years ago)

Archived