Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Having a 'plan b' when observing

kev100

Hi all,

Had a couple of nice clear nights over the weekend. Friday night was very clear, and myself and my wife took full advantage (her first time out with our new 10 inch dob). Spent most of the few hours between 11 and 1.30 going over relatively familiar ground (Mars, Saturn, M13, M57 – the latter two were firsts for my wife, and she was very impressed). I had planned to spend a bit of time in the region of Ophiuchus (this was plan A), going after Ms 10, 12 and 14. Found Antares, and then revisited M4, and then found M80 for the first time). Anyway, what with going over familiar objects, generally chatting, and then misty haze rolling in, I didn't get anywhere with plan A. Called it a day around 1.30.

Saturday night was cloudy, but last night (Sunday) was lovely and clear. I went out around 11 hoping again for some luck in Ophiuchus ... nada. Again, misty haze obscured the area and I couldn't find anything. Just before going out, though, I'd been idly browsing on Star Walk on the ipad and spotted M3, M53, and M64 (plan B ). Anyway, spun the scope to the right, away from Ophiuchus, and within a couple of minutes had M3 in the fov. Lovely and bright and clear, with lots of stars showing up in my 9mm plossl. Likewise M53. M64 was a faint fuzzy, but it was very exciting to see it.

For me, it reinforced the idea of having a plan B (or even plan C, D, E). You never know how the the area you hope to view will play out, and so it pays to have other options to avoid disappointment. 

Incidentally, plan C was to look for the North American neb, but to no avail.

Anyway, 4 more M objects ticked off. Top couple of nights!

Kev.

Hiya. Yep, very lucky. She does like to come out and have a look, but she would rather be tucked up on bed... Doesn't have the same level of obsession as me.

Dicking about on my phone, when I should be outside with the scope!

My wife shows absolutely no interest in my astronomy at all; never even mentions it the following morning when she knows I`ve been out viewing;  come to think of it, the only thing we have in common is we live in the same house!!  I`m envious of you; must be nice to share experiences like that............hey ho!   :sad:

Archived