NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A bit hilarious and frustrating

My 40mm meade am let me see the barely there moon, something just behind that and mars with no problem. Can't seem to get Saturn though visible to naked eye . Saw a very faint star in the lupus constellation I never saw before. This is with my really old 50mm scope. I know I worked put the magnification for each ep with each focal length. I think I even saw the omega centari star cluster with better visibility. It's funny. And frustrating. WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG? Okay I'm calm now :)

Planets need high magnification. For Saturn at the moment, you should pick out details at x150. If the seeing is good you can see more detail at x200-x250. To hold the view you'll need a very stable mount and tracking. If you can to a local group, they'll be pleased to show you Saturn,

Nick.

Neptune will look very much like a star, very small, with no apparent size.

What will be different is the colour, it will be greenish, some blue. Which in stars tends to be an odd colour.

So what you are looking for could be described as a dim green/blue star.

I was actually able to see Saturn after all. But I need to write down notes next time about which eps work best with which scope I have. Especially since now I am saving for a new scope in about 6months time. Well the scope I'm looking at comes with it's own ep kit. Probably should t matter too much but still a good idea I think.

Archived