Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RA Drive for a Celestron CG4 Mount

astro mick

Hi all.

I am having a real problem locating an alternative RA drive for my CG4.The celestron drives only come as a Dual Axis,and are very expensive.

I have enquired from several Dealers,some helpful(some not).

From the forums I,ve gleaned that the Orion EQ-3M is compatible with the CG4,but even the UK,s sole importer,was less than helpful.

Apparently the Skywatcher EQ3-2 motor drive does not fit.

So does anybody know differently.

FLO have been very good,but I don't think they have an alternative to the Celestron one.

So "maybe"the Orion is the only solution(if compatible).

Cheers.

mick.

I don't see why the Skywatcher branded EQ3-2 motors don't fit the Celestron CG4. The two mount are essentially the same mount give or take a few minor differences. Also the Orion branded motor drives are the same as the Skywatcher branded version. Synta own both the Skywatcher and Celestron brands and the Orion mounts and drives are Synta products sold under the Orion name in the USA.

If the Orion branded EQ3M motors fit the CG4 then the Skywatcher branded motors should also fir. Orion source their mounts / drives from Synta and the Orion Astroview mount (EQ3) is the same as the Skywatcher Eq3-2 so there should be no problem fitting Skywatcher motors to the CG4. My CG4  (see sig) is a total hybrid of Celestron, Skywatcher and Meade components. The EQ head is a CG4 fitted with Skywatcher Synscan motors (it used to be fiited with Skywatcher EQ3-2 dual axis drives), Skywatcher pole finderscope (the new style) and a Meade LXD55 (EQ5) tripod.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived