Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

June 26, 2014: Short evening session with massive prom and mini-giro

The mini-giro I bought from Stu (BigMakStutov) arrived tody, and the skies cleared in the early evening, so I just had to mount it on the magnificent wooden tripod of the Vixen GP mount (fits beautifully). I attached a Baader Vixen-level dovetail clamp and the little LS35 with WO zoom ep and aimed for the nearest star. This set up is very quick to assemble (every bit as quick as the photo tripod I frequently use for grab and go), but WAY more stable. Lovely smooth action, and to put a lovely cherry on the cake, a massive prom could be seen on the eastern limb. Even at 7.5mm (53.3x) the image was nice and stable)

Nice one Michael, very glad it is working well for you. I had a quick glimpse of that prom too, between the clouds. Very impressive!

The load capacity on these things is pretty good, but with a heavier scope adding a counterweight can make a big difference to the smoothness of the motion.

Obviously a lot of the stability comes from the tripod too, the mount itself is very stable so any wobbles are likely to be tripod related, your Vixen tripod sounds ideal, and lovely :-)

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one Michael, very glad it is working well for you. I had a quick glimpse of that prom too, between the clouds. Very impressive!

The load capacity on these things is pretty good, but with a heavier scope adding a counterweight can make a big difference to the smoothness of the motion.

Obviously a lot of the stability comes from the tripod too, the mount itself is very stable so any wobbles are likely to be tripod related, your Vixen tripod sounds ideal, and lovely :-)

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, Stu.

I am probably going to mount it most on my EQ2 tripod with hardwood upgrade; it is very solid, yet quite light. I will make an adaptor this evening.

Archived