Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Red Dot Finder?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about the delay folks. I got a small square nut with a thread to fit the standard camera mount bolt on the tube ring. This one is 11 mm square and fits in the groove under the red dot finder with  a tiny bit of play. The rdf slots over it.post-38338-0-91653800-1408712416.jpgpost-38338-0-95572500-1408712531.jpg

The plastic ring for tightening the camera can then be screwed up to lock it all in place.post-38338-0-11825700-1408712630.jpgpost-38338-0-06437900-1408712652.jpg

post-38338-0-63279100-1408712699.jpg

The only little snag so far is aligning the dot in the vertical axis. A very small plastic wedge under the finder front or back should sort it.

There`s no problem aligning it horizontally of course because you just swivel it round the nut.

Hope this is of help to anyone who like me wants to keep the rdf after putting a finderscope in the only mounting shoe.

Many thanks guys. The Rigel Quickfinder looks very much like a Telrad which I find hard to use as I have varifocals. I sold it just recently and will try a cheap red dot for the time being. I'll have a go at the eBay one. Then poss the Baader Sky Surfer.

Lee, was it the Sky Surfer you said was too bright?

Pardon my ignorance, but what are varifocals?

Eeeek! Lovely though!

Varifocals are glasses with three levels of power: reading, mid-distance (e.g. for PC monitors) and distance. They're graduated so you don't see a line, as you do in bifocals. There's some distortion at the very edge of the view but that's not bad with mine as they're the most expensive. But you have to have your head upright or things can go a bit squiffy. That's where it's difficult seeing through Telrads if you need to tilt your head. It's not easy with a RDF either, but a bit better.

Archived