Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do you get for the extra $200

In the distant future I'll be getting a refractor as a grab n go, for quick easy set up and viewing I'll want goto. So I've been having a look around, and at the following two and am wondering why the nexstar is $200 dearer than the Meade. Is it the Nexstar technology? What's the difference?

1. Meade Star Navigator 102 800mm f/l $549

2. Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT 660f/l $749

The big difference is the mount. The Meade has a very flimsy mount which you will find very wobbly and you cannot use it for any imaging except maybe putting a compact camera up to the eyepiece. The mount on the Celestron is much more substantial so you will not find it so wobbly. You can also image with the Nexstar. 

I had a Star Navigator and the optics gave a lot of chromatic aberration as well.

I would spend the extra and go with the Nexstar.

Peter

both mentioned scopes are sort of "entry" level,as such dont expect much out of them.And also both will have quite a lot of chromatic aberration due to they focal length.Actually Celestron will have more CA then meade as meade has a tiny bit longer focal length.Both mounts are average.you would possible be better off getting just an optical tube and get an EQ3 synscan go-tomount if goto is a necessity.will be more stable.

I'm not too worried about them being entry level as it would be a grab n go and would probably live in the motor. But that's all in the future anyway and I'll will probably change my mind a good dozen or so times before I ever get round to one of these. I just for some reason have in my mind that I want a frac.

Archived