Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can't decide which Binoculars to buy

Acme1970

I'm looking for a good pair of Binoculars to sit around my backyard and view the night sky and i've narrowed it down to 3 sizes, 25x70, 20x80 & 25x100, Now i realize that i'm going to need a tripod for all three of these and that's not a problem (i was going to buy one anyway) and i don't plan on using these anywhere but my backyard, Money is not a concern either (for these 3 at least), But what i wanna know is how much better is the 20x80 over the 25x70 and is the 25x100 a little over the top for just recreational use.

You will be a lot better off with less weighty bins, the type you have listed will need a tripod and there goes your laying back in a chair viewing experience, low power something like 8 X 42 will give a much better view while layed back in a recliner.....

I use my 15x70 hand-held quite a bit, and I can manage. Better options are my P-mount, which works both from a recliner and just standing. A monopod with trigger grip also works well according to many.

I would avoid the 25x70, as it has rather high magnification for its aperture; 15x70 hits a sweet spot for me. I have hand held a (surprisingly light) 20x80 Vixen Arc, and am contemplating getting their 16x80 model (50g or so lighter than my 15x70). 25x100 is a seriously heavier piece of kit, with a lot narrower FOV. Great type of instrument, but I would get a 45 or 90 deg model on a sturdy tripod IF I ever get one. They are not exactly grab and go.

Tripods are OK but when the object you want to view is at zenith or high in the sky then they are a pain in the neck (litterally) to use and  for the big models a pantograph mount and a good chair is the only really useful option.

Deja vu Lol

Archived