Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn - at long last

Last night was quite clear and with Saturn rising over the English Chanel, I managed to get my first good look at the planet.

My scope (pointing downwards and covered with a trusty towel to help prevent dew build up) was out for a good hour before I began viewing.  My eyepieces were ready and I'd avoided the temptation to take my hipflask out with me (I have been advised that some visual distortion in previous nights may have been caused by brandy, although I'm not convinced).  Everything seemed set and I began with my 20mm eyepiece.  I lined the scope up, fine-tuned the position and brought the planet in to focus.  It was at this point that the household descended and demanded their own viewing time, so I switched to the 10mm and got out the way.

Finally wresting control of MY scope back, I decided to go for broke with the 6mm lens and my barlow.  No matter what I tried, I couldn't get a clear image.  I then, as you would expect, knocked the scope and had to go back to the wide view to bring everything back into view.  I built up to the 10mm, was happy with the view and changed to the 6mm without barlow.  Once again, the image wouldn't come in sharp, so I tried the 10mm with the barlow.  No problem there.  I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong............

Then I remembered what I'd been using my 6mm eyepiece for last time.........................

It's surprising how much distortion you get from a really cheap moon filter.  What isn't surprising is how good an image you get when you take the damn thing off.

So there we have it - I first spotted Jupiter, then Mars and now Saturn.  I have taken photos of the moon and believe I may now progress in my hobby from "couldn't find his backside with both hands" to "mildly inept with occasional setbacks caused by complete stupidity".  Now that we can expect earlier sunsets, I shall begin working towards "may eventually learn to spell his own name" with the hope of one day reaching the heady heights of "can walk and talk at the same time".

Great post, Oscar. Made me smile.

However, back to scowling again 'cos I haven't properly seen Saturn yet.

In fact, I haven't seen anything but clouds or haar for weeks. Or is that months ...?

Hope you continue to enjoy.

Floater, I have a sky full of clouds again so I no chance of a return visit to Saturn this evening!!

Michael, your hammer suggestion is great.  I shall endeavour to undertake your modifications with enthusiasm and vigour!!

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely post Oscar, thank you.

Humour = essential. Makes the "where is that... expletive... thing?!" moments (er , whole evenings in my case) quite bearable.

And the objects of our desire are so faithful - they'll be there days, weeks, months and years from now...

After I've stopped ranting then grinning, I find that quite consoling...

Nice post! 

I just bought a Heritage 130p and got my first view of Saturn's rings the other night.. packed up when some cloud cover came in and half an hour later noticed that the sky was clear again. Back out with the scope, eyepiece in and red dot finder guided into place.. Nothing, couldn't see a thing! Yep.. the giant lens cap was still on. Don't feel about the moon filter! :)

"I have been advised that some visual distortion in previous nights may have been caused by brandy, although I'm not convinced"

he I'm learning to navigate and I find that the more I drink the more complicated GEM becomes, especially that the picture is up side down and the map is not... I need to try do it dry

• 3 weeks later...

Nice post!

I just bought a Heritage 130p and got my first view of Saturn's rings the other night.. packed up when some cloud cover came in and half an hour later noticed that the sky was clear again. Back out with the scope, eyepiece in and red dot finder guided into place.. Nothing, couldn't see a thing! Yep.. the giant lens cap was still on. Don't feel about the moon filter! :)

How have you got on with the heritage 150p?

Can you attach a motor to it if you want?

Nice post!

How have you got on with the heritage 150p?

Can you attach a motor to it if you want?

Archived