Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro modified Canon 60D?

Mark_C

Hi all,

I have bought a used/non-modified Canon EOS 60D with a low shutter count for a price I could not refuse. The ability to use movie crop mode to capture colour planetary images was what attracted me to this model. I was looking in to getting the 60D modified so that it can be used for both daytime photography and astro. Due to the existence of the 60Da, I have not really seen many people, if any, use a baader modded 60D. This has me slightly concerned that the mod is not as straight forward as the other camera models such as the 600D?

The camera is too good to be modified solely for astrophotography so I was just wondering whether anyone has had theirs modified to be used in all conditions with autofocus functionality retained? (counting out the 60Da of course, as that has already been modified in this manner).

Thanks,

Mark.

Do you really need to modify it? You say that you bought it primarily for planetary with the crop video mode. Are you going to be using it for Ha rich DSO imaging too? If not, just use it as is until,you decide that you really do need to modify it.

I have a 60D that I modded myself. It's a great camera and I have had great fun and some success with it. The mod was just filter removal, so the autofocus is totally knackered, but I use it for Astro only.

Thanks for all of the responses, they have been very helpful. :) I checked the Cheap Astrophotogaphy website earlier today but there is no mention at all about the 60D on the website (there is nothing specifically stating they don't mod the 60D either). I have emailed them regarding this and am awaiting a response.

I will also keep Astronomiser in mind too, they're more expensive but they do state that they will modify the 60D, so if the above company is not able to carry out the mod for one reason or another, it's another option to keep in mind.

Do you really need to modify it? You say that you bought it primarily for planetary with the crop video mode. Are you going to be using it for Ha rich DSO imaging too? If not, just use it as is until,you decide that you really do need to modify it.

I have a 60D that I modded myself. It's a great camera and I have had great fun and some success with it. The mod was just filter removal, so the autofocus is totally knackered, but I use it for Astro only.

Gav,

The planetary imaging capabilities of the camera are just an added bonus and won't be a primary function for this camera as I have a QHY5L-II mono for that. The 60D really does look like it produces some great planetary results though. At present I do not have LRGB filters so can't produce one shot colour images of planets, I thought the 60D would be a stop gap and a convenience until I get filters or another QHY camera in colour.

The main highlight of the camera will be for DSO imaging with my 120ED and it would be nice to have added sensitivity towards Ha ( I need to buy a 0.85x focal reducer first though.) Daylight photography isn't a priority but it would be nice to able to use the camera for this purpose too. I don't really want to have to buy a second body that caters for daylight use as I'm not really as interested in general photography as I once was (owned a 5D II with loads of L lenses at one point but sold it all off as I just lost interest). It would be nice to take the odd snap with the kit lens now and again though and allow for the camera to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. :)

In that case I highly recommend getting that filter out, makes a huge difference to the images. If you are a capable DIYer, then do consider doing the mod yourself. There is no solder or anything really tricky involved. It is more nerve racking than complicated! I don't know how much the replacement clear filter would cost if you definitely want to do that.

Good luck.

CheapAstro supplied and modded my 600D, i took the cheap option filter removed, clear glass inserted so the autofocus still worked, Juan supplied the removed filter with the camera and e-mailed a text file with the information to use the camera for day time photography, i'm very happy with the 600D and here's a picture taken in daylight with the daylight adjustments done (couple of sliders to move) .....1100D kit lens used....

gardenb17-4.jpg

CheapAstro supplied and modded my 600D, i took the cheap option filter removed, clear glass inserted so the autofocus still worked, Juan supplied the removed filter with the camera and e-mailed a text file with the information to use the camera for day time photography, i'm very happy with the 600D and here's a picture taken in daylight with the daylight adjustments done (couple of sliders to move) .....1100D kit lens used....

That is really impressive! You would never have thought it was taken with a modded camera. I don't mind changing a few settings to get the correct colour/white balance, it's just great to know that I'll have a camera that is able to serve multiple purposes.

Just had a response from Juan at CheapAP, unfortunately he isn't able to mod the 60D as it involves some very delicate soldering which can be risky. I can totally understand his reasons for not getting involved with the mod, I personally wouldn't agree to mess with someone else's camera even if I had plenty of experience.

It looks like Astronomiser is my prime choice for modding now and unfortunately for a baader mod it is going to cost a hefty £220. :(

Are there any other companies out there who offer DSLR mods that can be recommended?

I'm now starting to think that buying a 60D to modify was a bad idea as I wasn't aware that the baader filter replacement process was so technical and risky. There is almost nothing online about baader modified 60D cameras, I guess that's why. :(

That is very surprising. I have been inside a 60D and I didn't see anything that needed soldering... I may have missed something, but the resulting modded camera works perfectly... I would offer to mod yours, but I'm afraid I'm not that brave!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is very surprising. I have been inside a 60D and I didn't see anything that needed soldering... I may have missed something, but the resulting modded camera works perfectly... I would offer to mod yours, but I'm afraid I'm not that brave!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised at this too. :( Apparently it requires desoldering/resoldering of some connectors on the IC from what I've been told. Perhaps it has something to do with the Baader filter replacement but I can't be sure. Two other companies I've been in touch offer the baader mod on the 60D, so it has left me rather confused.

Unfortunately, it will cost £200 to get the camera modded, which could buy me a lower end modded Canon DSLR, so I am now questioning viability of having this work done. At this point, I am tempted to just buy a baader modded 450D/1100D and sell the 60D on.

• 2 years later...

just bought a 60 da, have a 1300d and a 6d (new) using it with a IRIX 15mm 2.4 my main objective with the 60da is nebulae and ds objects, i can tell the diff between 60d and 60 da, was going to get the 1300d modded, but got the great chance at a 60 da... 9,25, moonlite  avx mount starsense ... sc focuser, baader adapter and a mark iii baader zoom w/barlow  (great piece of equipment) now i just need some clear skies..... Ernest

night mw fisheye.jpg

Archived