Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Organising public solar observing

The annual parents and children camping weekend is nearly upon me. Last year I took my small dob to show a few things and it went really well. I'm experienced with doing a lot of public stargazing anyway, but public solar viewing is something I haven't done before. There are a few things to think about which I will list and hopefully if I have left anything out someone could put me right.

The 6" dob will be fitted with Baader Solar film with my own carefully made filter holder. This will be held onto the tube with sticky tape, plenty of.

I will have a warning sign to explain the risks of using any optical device to view the Sun unless it is specially designed. I might also warn about the dangerous eyepiece solar filters, just in case one of the kids may have one at home with a cheap scope.

I will also explain the risks to each observer in case they didn't notice the sign.

I need the the finder scope in place to balance the scope so the finder lens caps will be held on with tape.

I will surround the scope with a wind break so that only one at a time will be able to gain access to the eyepiece.

I will never leave the scope unattended and when I have finished viewing it will be locked away in the car.

Footballs or tennis balls might pose a risk of penetrating the solar film in the small chance of it hitting the front if the scope. In this case I will be aware of any outdoor games which are in progress and decide on the level of risk from stray balls.

I reckon that's everything I can think of, so as long as I am 101% happy I reckon they will enjoy seeing the (hopefully) many sunspots to be seen. Another thing, I had better revise my solar knowledge because the questions will come thick and fast!

Good set of rules. I would personally add some solar film to the finder, so finding the sun is easier. I had a similar event at my kids' school with my Lunt LS35 and APM 80mm with Herschel wedge mounted side by side on a tracking EQ mount. The nice thing about the tracking is that you can concentrate on the audience, and only rarely need a minor nudge to position the scope optimally. The event went well, and kids (even rowdy ones) were pretty well behaved, especially after warning lecture I gave them.

Best of luck with the event and hope the weather and sunspots cooperate

I've run out of solar film so the finder will have to be capped, anyway I can use the shadow to centre quite well.

Yes dobs are a bit of hard work with public viewing but for this weekend the old spare dob would be less of a worry than having the C9.25 and HEQ5 set up, as much as I would like to though.

Archived