NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Simple question - what camera for this scenario?

I've got a Sky-Watcher 8 inch newt on equatorial mount. Bought it yesterday and the IAS. Never done much astrophotography, I want to start with the moon, planets, the brighter deep-sky objects. Budget £100-£150. I've got a half-decent laptop so I'm thinking of one of those imaging tools that comes with software to edit and stack the images.

Any suggestions guys?

Agreed... A 2h Canon DSLR that has video option would be a decent jack of all trades.

the nice little webcam types are great for planets but you'll never fit the whole moon on the sensor

At the astronomy show yesterday, there was a 'thing' for sale, that goes in the eyepiece, and connects to your computer using the USB. It takes lots of shots per second, and the software then 'stacks' the best 15% or whatever. What would that 'thing' be called? I'm calling it a ccd camera, but is it a webcam? Are they the same?

I've used a large manual dobsonian for the last twenty years, and I'm feeling pretty stupid trying to get my head around what's out there for digital imaging. 

A DSLR would require long exposures rather than this 'stacking' method, right? Which shouldn't be a problem with now, with my equatorial mount.

I would also suggest a DSLR - you only need the body - and an adapter from an Astro-shop to fit it to the scope.  With that you can take DSO's and easily get full frame pictures of the Moon (and Sun with the correct filters).  The planets will be a problem as the usual "starter" kit is a webcam or dedicated planetary camera.  With a 200P scope you will also need a barlow lens to get any sort of a decent sized image of a planet.

As to software - there is more than enough freeware about that will do everything you want, so i would suggest not spending anything at all on software and use your money for the camera.

The "thing" is a dedicated Astro movie camera (a "webcam" in disguise!) and that will allow you to take pictures of the planets - with the necessary Barlow lens to get a decent sized image.  You can take the Moon as well but you will need to make a mosaic of several small "panes" to build up a picture of the whole thing.  It is unsuitable for DSO imaging.

You don't say which EQ mount you have some are better than others for astro photography - and it depends on what sort of photography you intend to persue.

Some, but not all, DSLR's can be used in "movie" mode and can take decent planetary pictures.  BTW get a Canon camera as almost all astro software is designed to work with them.  If you want to buy new then try this site to see the prices:  http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-1100D-Body    The 1100D is now going out of production so you can buy a decent camera body for not much money ;)

What mount have you got? This is crucial. To do any decent DSO imaging you would need to autoguide, except for the brightest of objects.

Before you start though, read the imager's bible. It's excellent:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

I have a DSLR 600D, modded so there's no IR filter. Necessary for emission nebulae. It's an excellent camera and copes well with all the DSOs I've tried. It has movie crop mode, which I tried the other night on planets (not checked the images yet!) but others have got good results. It also has a swivel screen therefore easy to use even in difficult positions.

Good luck!

Alexxx

Archived