Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What if.....?

Charic

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Had a good hard think today, Do I really need to spend premium pounds for an extra 2x magnification for astronomy alone? - Not today!

It's the additional 10mm of aperture that is probably more relevent. Thats 50% more light gathering ability (assuming the binoculars operate at the full apertures stated)

• 3 weeks later...

........having spent a few days shopping in London, and looking back to my original question ( I would say, for my reference )  the  Fujinon FMT-SX series would be the dogs? 

I also wanted  to look  through   other 10x50s, namely,   Pentax PCW, William Optics, Opticron,  Oberwerk, but no-one seemed to stock anything  except Nikon, Zeiss, Leica and a few other brands!.......One thing I did notice was the quality finish of  genuine Nikon Extreme 10x50s.....something not apparent on my previous pair?

I took time  to visit the Widescreen centre to see some optics,  the staff  more than helpful,  encouraging  me to check out  some Vixen SG 2.1x42 Wide-field binoculars, and Celestron's Granite series 10x50s.

The 2.1x42 was just  so different, and the roof prism Celestrons were not what I needed,  But they looked ok for the brief few minutes I looked  through them along the street.

I  arrived home today without any 10x50s......the search continues

......your probably right damnut....... London's a great place for shopping, although very tiring on the poor old feet.  I have blisters over  blisters  from this weeks walking.......but the difference in  air  quality and the peacefulness back in Scotland.....bliss.

I'm still on holiday for a few days,  still shopping!

Ok........as of now! its going to be the Pentax PCF WP II 10x50s.

Despite all that's said about trying, testing, handling ect  I've still not found a pair to try, but It looks like I`ll be getting the PCFs?

I have read a  good report on the PCF WP, but there is no mention of the PCF WP II

I cant imagine the  2's  to be any less capable!

I now  just need to find the best price,  stock available,  from a reputable  UK dealer?

• 2 weeks later...

Typical.....there is, after all, a dealer supplying  Pentax ( in stock ~   PCF-WP II £139 ) about an hours drive away!  Only one issue, their closed when I'm off work? so I will have to order on-line ( postage extra!)  and hopefully return if not satisfactory? 

Awaiting email confirmation. 

Damo636.............its not that simple?

They were such a good price too, however they are seconds, which was my fault, not noticing the details on their web site. Thats not the end of the World, and  I still think I need a  10x50  general purpose set.

Which brings me back full circle again  to my first contact with Strathspey Binoculars, only this time,  I'm receiving not just the one pair,  so I can  test a few and fully asses  my requirements ( they will be dispatched/arrive this Week ?)

I already own  Bresser Hunter 7x50, Helios Naturesport-Plus 8x40, Revelation Astro 15x70 and two others ( misplaced at present ? )  I've considered new  Helios Apollo's,  Helios Naturesports, various BA8 incarnations, Oberwerk, TS-Marine.

I even  tried to locate the FMT-SX  in London to see what the fuss is about ( ?  )  as they seem to be setting the standard?  but their no good if you cant test them? If I'd found some and  If my eyes could accept they were better/best  than other units in the store, I had the funds to purchase them, but you have to test them first.  My GMT Master II is one of the best you can buy, and hold their value well ( if you know what I'm on about ) but at the end of the day, it just tells the time, and shocks most folk when I tell them the price. Its always theirs that is the cheaper option, yet carries out the same task. Its down to the end user and their eyes, to whatever you think is right, and the price you want to pay. My eyes  are getting old/er! need correcting for some tasks, and without for others, so whether I really needed some FMT's over some Speys, who knows until I test them for my self.

I have read that the Apollo's are better than the Stellar's ( I owned the 20-80's) but feel this time round, I don't really need high magnification for my astronomy binoculars, when the telescope caters for that requirement. So I should go with the 10x50's to allow the maximum I could hand-hold, or maybe even go lower?

My 8x40s feel/appear sharper/brighter than the 7x50s. Is this due to  better optics BAK4 vs. BK7. If after testing the  new supplied optics, I have several options? replace what I have, add to what I have or return the Strathspeys?

Still rambling, but lease don't feel this was an attack on good quality binoculars, as you own two pairs already!  My head has spun for ages, making decisions, here and there, and changing because of some minute detail, only to go round in circles again. Its crazy, but FUN!

Strathspey 7x50 marine Binoculars have arrived?

My first sensation upon opening the package was the fresh smelling rubber? (the body coating) the binocular case looked quite substantial, fully protective to their contents, followed by the notable weight of these optics, a tad over 1.2Kg. So far so good!

Exposed and sitting there, they look the business at £119.79 delivered.

So, up to my eyes and I immediately reach for the central focuser, Ooops! something new to overcome! but the binoculars seem spot on, for the first target of the Day? with each IF setting, at ZERO dioptre (+/- 4 available) I didn't venture beyond the door sill as it was pelting down with rain, marine proof yes, but as yet, unused, un-tested, and on loan?

The Exit pupil seemed much sharper than anything I’ve seen before, and the image was bright, clear and sharp, for my eyes. My Helios 8×40s have a wider 8.3° field of view, the Marine 7×50s are 6.29° (110M @ 1000M) I wonder if this will be a hindrance, as I really like the wider angles!

................on the subject of exit pupils, I believed I had dilated pupils of about @5.5mm from self assessment ( from recently reviewing the benefits of pairing exit pupil to entry pupil ) A family member is about to receive some LASIK surgery, so whilst passing the time of day, and talking optics, at the opticians, they kindly measured my pupils with some fancy electronic gizmo? I was only in a darkened room for a short while, sufficient to carry out the test, yet no shorter than if you had come in to have your eyes properly examined for a prescription! ( we often talk of 20+ mins to get truly dark adapted pupils ?) From their examination/assessment I have an average of only 4mm dilation each eye? ( I'm not that old?) saying that I have fairly small pupils in comparison to others ? And given more time, they suggested the pupils could dilate a little further, but unlikely to go near or beyond 6mm?.........

I digress?

My Helios 8×40s provide a nice bright +8° field of view and with their 5mm exits, they work very well for me. With the 7×50 marines I sensed that they were a little darker during the night session, possibly from the effect due to the tightness of view, compared to the 8° I'm used too!

Steven Tonkin has reviewed the 10x50s ( You will find his review on the Strathspey site ) and stated that they appear to be full sized prisms as witnessed by the circular exit pupils, the exits also appear perfectly formed on these 7x50s

The eye cups I find are fairly stiff out of the box, fully extended, and they fold down with a firm roll. They may soften with time/age?

The 7×50s have push-in rubber objective covers, with a one piece rain guard for the eyepiece. I have not yet assembled the strapping and secured the guards, but one of the objective caps appears to be loose compared to the other three? And no matter which of the four Objectives it protects, its still loose? I have tried to fold the inner flange outwards in order to make a better/ tighter fit. We’ll see how I get on with this, and what ( if any) modification I may attach, like using Daiwa's fishing Hydro-Elastic, single stitched through the objective cap's 'tab' to keep the caps with/near the binoculars, so as not to drop/lose them?

The 7×50s have a reddish-green tint/hue to the eyepiece optics from the multi-coatings, and white stencilled font adorns the face plates, describing specifications, but there is NO mention anywhere that these are N7 Nitrogen purged, which should make you think before opening to look inside for cleaning or adjustments? ( doing so, may allow the Nitrogen to escape requiring a factory rebuild no-doubt, losing their anti-fog capability ) Looking down the objectives, was a lovely sight, dark, clean and well finished. ( I just don’t know why my previous Nikon Action Extreme 10×50s were so poorly finished internally. I love Nikon optics(DSLR) but I must have just received a bad pair of 10x50s that Day!

There were clear skies on the night these binoculars arrived, so was able to asses their performance quite early for my needs?

That completes my basic review of the Strathspey Marine 7×50........

But hold on, there's more? I also received the 10×50s????

The differences are as follows:-

Colour: The tint from the optical coatings are greener, than the 7x50s

Stencilled font on the face plates, differ between the two models? Although identical in most repescts, and built at the same plant, company! And I prefer the style of the font on the 10x50s ( just visible in the image)

Again, No N7 Nitrogen sign!

FOV: @ 6.52° (114m at 1000M)

Magnification 10x.....the extra 3x providing a smaller fov, and the contrast between sky and Star was darker( or so it appeared ~ Ive tried to look for things, that are often mentioned in reviews, that I have never really looked for before?_

Aperture: @ 50 mm

Exit Pupil; 5mm Measured across the eyepiece with metal rule.

Weight: > 1.2KG. my kitchen scales are cheap and cheerful, but do show a slight weight loss difference! The weight gives them a great feel and for some a weighted/steadier hold, but I still have some very minor shake affecting the Stars, due to the magnified image. I had my hand on a cheap Mono-pole yesterday, so the seed is planted, but I will further investigate another tripod that incorporates a mono-pole ie '3 legged thing! ( that’s the brand name!)

Documents: Basic and to the point, but no information about IF focusing? I also wish to locate the mil-spec document for these binoculars?

Price: The same, ( I was offered a very good price if bought together, almost too good an offer? ~ I suppose it depends on John, and how he feels on the day. I'll keep the offer price to myself to prevent any issue, should you not get the same great deal?)

I do like these mil-Spec Marines, I would like to keep both of them, but my remit was to purchase some 10x50s for general usage.

Under the Stars at a local dark site ( Hip- hip Hooray! ) yes I had a clear night ( can't Pheasants see in the dark, nearly took my head off as it flew past me, as I did not see it coming, and what was that smell? What a scare, and yes they were clean!!!!!

Of the two Marines, I preferred the 10x50s over the 7x50s and although their both very good, it was the 8° fov that from Helios 8x40s that decided my choice. They will be more comfortable for my needs aside or without the Skyliner. I was also offered a special deal, on the Marines if purchased together, which was very reasonable indeed. I will be returning the 7x50s and retaining the 10x50s.

That's it.

Thanks to John at Strathspey for his advice and the loan of the optics! Strathspey has been at the top of my list for over a Year now? That and the Pentax PCF-WP-II. Im glad they have finally arrived. Full marks for the prompt and very helpful service.

One last note, worthy of mention is the depth of field, its not bad during the Day! This equates to less focusing, if anyone has concerns with IF (Individual Focus ) against CF ( Centre Focus ). This was a big issue in my decision making? Would I cope with IF on my everyday optics, or would CF be more beneficial? I know its possible to adjust both settings at the same time (with practice ) but I'm not having any issues just yet, I have been able to follow and focus on general aviation traffic flying over my house today, without any real issue or concern, tuning the right eye first? And as for astronomy, do you need to keep re-focusiing for the Stars when these points of light are all at infinity!

Time and a few more observations will tell if I have made the right decision. Optically, so far, they appear good. If the IF becomes an issue at any stage, then I will resume my search. But for now, I can rest and probably sleep better at night,

My primary instruments of choice now will be the 8x40s for general wide view astronomy, and occasionally the 10x50 for that little extra magnification, and possibly darker contrast, if/when the conditions are just right.

My 15x70s will get a few more sessions, but if I need that much power, I’d rather jump to the telescope.

The stack just shows the collection so far, I've had the Bressers for Years, They still work ok, but just basic. The revelations are ok, need mounting, and I spied M51 recently under good conditions, but not my favourites, The tints in the Marine 7x50s can be seen as reddish, the 10x50s more green, and my favourite wide angles  on the top of the stack, the Nature Sport 8x40s.

I'll update as/when/if necessary. 

Binocular Stack

Nice collection Charic, and congrats on the new addition!

Great service from Strathspey also, definitely one of the good guys.

10x50's are a great dual purpose size. Mine gets a lot of use night the day, and likewise find very little refocusing necessary (daytime) with the excellent depth of field. The IF does become like 2nd nature with practice, & you are correct, everything in the night sky is focused at infinity so basically set and forget.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

I had a few spare moments today, above the local harbour and atop the headland.

The last time I used the 10x50s was for some stellar observations. Today I removed the binos from their case, and did not need to adjust the focus? This was not expected, but proves an exceptional depth of field. I could see for miles under perfect skies, observing the old faces of the hardworking local fishermen on their boats in the harbour, to wild seals chasing each other, outside the harbour, to mil jets practicing air combat manouvres and birds as close as about 150 feet (only a guess at that figure ) any closer needed some adjustment. To my eyes, everthing just looked very sharp, except at the very extreme edge on one of the nearby chimney towers, I also I tried quick focusing, near, far, then near again which is fine and easy to do.

I do like these 10x50s The field of view is comfortable enough, but I prefer wider, and my preference is still to view without my glasses on. I did note today the problem with varifocals, you need to have the glasses correctly aligned, due to the division in magnification between the top and bottom of the lens.

The only other consideration for me now, is how to better steady the optics. 3 legged thing tripods have a monopole facility, but no doubt, other brands too may have the same feature. Just want whats best for me at the right price.

I need to roll them down the hill, and observe some under water marine life, to check their mil-spec toughness? maybe not!

Archived