NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar setup

Stu

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The literature with the Quark actually says it would be ok with a UV/IR cut filter so may try it at some point. Just quite nervous of pointing my lovely Vixen at the sun without a D-ERF protecting the objective.

I'm sure the scope would be fine.....

I think if you use extension tubes to push the 2" filter further ahead of the focuser it uses more of the available area and reduces the heat. Could work out the maths better if I give it a try.

I have the 120ED to try which should be pretty good anyway

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the arrival of the Quark. Don't worry about the objective of the Vixen, it will become no hotter than a piece of glass in full sunshine. It is the EP end that gets the concentrated sunlight. I still know how you feel. I am considering a Quark too (wavering a bit after hearing about people needing replacements, fingers crossed yours is fine out of the box), and have managed to get a 85mm tri-band ERF (CaK, H-alpha, and Solar continuum bandpasses: I gathered later there are only six or so of those in the world). I will put that in front of the 80mm scope to protect stuff behind the objective (but not the objective itself).

Archived