Celestron NexStar tracking query

Hi, I posted earier this month for some help re a tracking problem but didn't really get anywhere, so I will try again.

I have a Nexstar 6SE with a starsense fitted and I am attempting to track the Sun, I am using a solar filter and the starsense HC but not the starsense camera, that's got its cover on.

I align the scope using the starsense instructions on solar align and centre the sun as directed, the scope then says align successful.

Here is where I get my problems, when trying to track the Sun the scope just wont move, I have selected the solar tracking, tried sidereal rate and also out of desperation the lunar tracking but the scope just will not follow  the sun.

So has anybody got any ideas what I am doing wrong before I blame the scope??

You help is appreciated.

TCF:  Celestron Nexstar 6SE with starsense fitted.

Peter, thanks for that,

no I haven't done than, basically when the align success comes up and the sun is already centred in the scope I just go to tracking and select Solar and nothing happens.

The Sun doesn't appear in any of the Hand Control lists, unless it has been enabled from the Utilities Menu.

I assume you have done this from your posts. If you haven't, Press the Undo button until the display reads "Advanced GT".

Press the Menu button  and use Up and Down Keys to select the Utilities Menu. Press Enter.

Use the Up and Down Keys to select Sun Menu, then Press Enter..

Press Enter again to allow the Sun to appear on the Hand Control Display.

Just Ignore this if you have already done the routine.

Ron.

Guys thanks for your help, unfortunately this hasn't solved my issue. I have added the Sun to my menu so that's sorted.

Once the telescope is aligned (using the StarSense HC) it says alignment successful, press enter to proceed.

From there nothing happens, I am already centred on the Sun and the scope just stays there, have tried selecting Lunar and Sidereal for tracking with the same result.

I have also tried choosing the solar system button (no1) then pick the sun in the menu and the scope moves but only to re-centre on the sun. And from there nothing, no tracking at all

So still in need of ideas please, I am beginning to think the scope has a fault.

TCF

Guys thanks for your help, unfortunately this hasn't solved my issue. I have added the Sun to my menu so that's sorted.

Once the telescope is aligned (using the StarSense HC) it says alignment successful, press enter to proceed.

From there nothing happens, I am already centred on the Sun and the scope just stays there, have tried selecting Lunar and Sidereal for tracking with the same result.

I have also tried choosing the solar system button (no1) then pick the sun in the menu and the scope moves but only to re-centre on the sun. And from there nothing, no tracking at all

So still in need of ideas please, I am beginning to think the scope has a fault.

TCF

Once you press Enter the handset is then expecting you to chose an object to GOTO. So press Enter as you say then select Solar System then Sun and Enter again. The second Enter will start off the tracking (I hope).

Peter

Peter

Thanks for that, I am sure I have tried this and nothing happens, what seems to happen is that the once I have selected Sun from the solar system menu and press enter the scope moves to re-centre the sun and that's it.

Nothing else, like you that's were I thought it would then track but no joy.

TCF

Sorry but I have no further ideas on this. It sounds like the tracking is off but I don't see how that can happen. Does it happen on other objects like the moon or mars?

Maybe contact the supplier to see if they can offer any further ideas.

Peter

Peter

OK thanks for your thoughts, the scope is 18 months old but only started using it recently after house move, so don't think I can speak to supplier now, haven't really had a chance to use it on other planets yet due to weather. But will give it a go soon, thanks again

TCF

If the supplier was a reputable supplier, I'm sure that you could approach them - they want your trade don't forget. I would try it on another target first though. Good luck getting it sorted out and sorry I could not help further.

Peter

Are you positive you've switched tracking on? It's usually the default mode - check in the daytime by focusing on a fixed ground object - it will have moved out of the fov within a few mins because the object is stationary - if it doesn't move then the tracking isn't on. Tracking is imperceptible by just looking at the mount, sidereal is too low to "see" without looking in the eyepiece. Hth :)

Edit - go into the Tracking Menu and choose the Mode option and from those options select Alt/Az.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I also have a nexstar 6SE with a starsense camera, i manualy slew my scope to the sun so i can observe it i also have taken some pictures but found it a pain cas i could not track the sun, but after reading this post i found that the starsense HC has a sun option, also i have read that you can change the gear settings so the 6SE can track the sun, please can anyone give me a idots guide on how to do this.

Many thanks

Archived