Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQ3 PRO power

Lee_P

Hi everyone,

I’m investigating Skywatcher EQ3 PRO mounts (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html) and am wondering the best way to power it – perhaps someone here can help?

I suppose really I’m looking for a power supply that’s light and cheap – surely the perfect combination!

Thanks in advance,

- Lee

AA & D cells would turn out to be a very expensive option I'm afraid. the drain put on them by the motors would probably give you a couple of hours at best (rechargeable AA / D cells are not suitable either). The 7Ah battery would give you a little more time than the Alkaline option but not much more. Jump start batteries are over rated and not really designed for our purposes ( long steady drain ) and need careful maintenance . LiPo's are expensive compared to other power sources of similar or higher capacities ( leisure batteries). For a mains supply you need a regulated psu that can deliver at least the minimum output as given in the manual.

well you should have the necessary cables from when you buy the scope/mount, if comes with synscan, its a car lighter type one end which you put into the power pack & the other should attach to the control box then switch on & you up & away.

well ive checked throu your list and seems all good, just curious do you have a scope already because if you are going to buy one you most likely wouldnt need a dovetail as most usually come with scope, not so sure on the bluetooth thing as never had dealings with it, id assume it would be fine but maybe put up another thread regarding this before you purchase. you do get a cable with the mount that you can use to connected to pc/lappy but mite need an usb to serial adapter for this if you dont have a serial port.

but wotever you decided hope all goes well with your purchases

regards

john

I do have a 'scope already with an AZ3 mount, but it attaches via telescope rings directly to the mount head and not using a dovetail. Thanks again for all your advice!

The mount will come with a dovetail and the bluetooth EQDIR module should be this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EQTooth-Bluetooth-EQMOD-EQDIR-a-55-00-/261492298417?_trksid=p2047675.l4066 . The one in your link is for the NEQ6/EQ6 mounts which have a RS232 socket instead of a RJ45 socket. i'm still not convinced with your choice of power though. For the same price plus the cost of a suitable charger you can get a 20Ah deep cycle golf cart battery http://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEOCH-12V-20ah-Deep-Cycle-Battery-for-POWAKADDY-HILLBILLY-Golf-Carts-/150853349237?pt=UK_Golf_Trolleys&hash=item231f8f6f75 . The problem with jump start batteries is that they are not designed for long deep discharges which will greatly reduce their lifespan. A jump start battery is designed for short, high current discharges (jump starting a car) whereas a deep cycle battery is ideal for our purposes (long low current discharges).

Thanks Peter, good catch re: the bluetooth adapter! 

Regarding dovetails, I'm worried that my telescope will be very back-heavy -- with a DSLR attached the balance point is around where the focusing knob is. The telescope itself is very short, so can't slide up or down the telescope rings. I'm not sure how it would balance on the mount. It was suggested that a long dovetail may help. Any thoughts? 

As for power, I'm not sure what the best option is... your golf cart battery sounds great, but it's 6.5kg, which is certainly more than I was hoping for. Maybe LiPos are so expensive because they tick the most boxes!

Well, my EQ3 has arrived and so far I'm very happy with it! It came bundled with a mains power adapter, so I'm using that for now. A bluetooth adapter may be obtained a little later... Thanks very much to everyone who helped with invaluable advice.

Archived