NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newtonian Aluminium open structure

GigiG

Hi all, I've just finished building my newtonian 'light' structure and I'm rather satisfied. The overall structure is rather light (2.5Kg without mirrors) and stiff. The original project was to design a structure different from the usual rigid tube for my first 6" mirror (second hand on italian Astrosell online market). At the mean time, this 'main beam' layout give me the opportunity to evaluate an alternative focus mechanism (of course I was inspired by already existing designs seen on the web in the past). A longitudinal focusing rail to replace the classic radial focuser. The focus is adjusted by translating a 'dolly' that carries the secondary mirror and the eyepiece/camera turret, by means of a threaded rod. Rigid Teflon like plates are used to minimize friction on the translating surfaces. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Ciao!

Gigi

The secondary support bracket is very robust. It is based on an alluminium strip 1mm thick (25mm wide) curved by hand and it is stiff, more than enough ;). I can adjust the position of the secondary mirror holder moving its curved bracket with respect to the turret assembly and eventually increasing/decresing its height slightly modifing the curvature of the bracket itself (didn't need to do, however). Not yet tested 'on field' but the collimation was relatively simple (my 6" is an f5).

Thanks to all for comments!

Gigi

Archived