Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last night the sky was very nice up until around midnight. I was able to view a few doubles but 90 Hercules was a stand out for me on this night. I was able to split this star using an orion epic 3.7mm eyepiece.  I have a clean split on this star with the primary being a ruddish orange yellow and the secondary a beautiful blue very intense,,,a very nice double but difficult to split in the 6 inch f/8 . This would be a good test for your 6 inch or even a 5 inch. And I would guess maybe even a good 4 inch scope might split it.

mike h

Last night the sky was very nice up until around midnight. I was able to view a few doubles but 90 Hercules was a stand out for me on this night. I was able to split this star using an orion epic 3.7mm eyepiece.  I have a clean split on this star with the primary being a ruddish orange yellow and the secondary a beautiful blue very intense,,,a very nice double but difficult to split in the 6 inch f/8 . This would be a good test for your 6 inch or even a 5 inch. And I would guess maybe even a good 4 inch scope might split it.

mike h

Oo - the gauntlet is down... now for a clear night with steady seeing. (Don't hold your breath.)

I had a try tonight as it is clear, although ggod/bad/patchy seeing. Fairly easily split with my 5" Mak at x200, the space between the two about one Airy disks worth. I couldn't see a lot of colour contrast - probably more aperture needed for that!

Chris

I had another look tonight - excellent seeing! At x380 (still sharp despite the laws of physics!), the yellow colour of the primary and the blueish colour of the secondary are a lot more obvious than at lower mag. A nice double!

Chris

here here for you fellows congrats on your endeavors .. Soooo nice that geeks like us can maintain contact from all over the world and look at the same things.And chris I have that same mak the 127mm. It is a lovely little beastie , but your right , it does not show the same color as my refractor.. 

mike h

post-35640-0-00074300-1401844982_thumb.j

Nice report. I should really get out and start looking at doubles.

Matt ,,Once you start you can't you will be hooked.

mike h

Archived