Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

May 24, 2014: Lovely proms and filaments galore this morning

Just went out into the garden and had a look at the sun in H-alpha. The very active prom on the north east seems to have gone, but many others have replaced it. A massive, branching structure can be seen to the south-east, and several proms dot the western limb. A huge prom is visible down south (almost polar, it seems). On the surface, many thin filaments can be seen, and a bright active region can be seen southwards nearer the western limb. To its east, below the centre of the disk, a large zigzagging filament can be seen. Well worth a look

Skem, I don't know, hopefully the experts will chip in, but my guess would be that visually you'll be fine with the B400, the B600 might pay off imaging-wise depending on which camera you are using. I am sorely tempted by the 50mm, that seems to me to be a nice aperture.

When I am imaging grab and go, I don't feel like I get the full benefit of 60mm aperture. I am confident 50mm would be enough for me imaging-wise for a grab and go, and plenty enough for a divine view visually! Ho hum, temptation schmemtation!

Nice report Michael :smiley:  It  sounds like the Sun is looking good. It is still pouring down here :shocked:

Skem I haven't tried a B400 so I can really comment but it doesn't matter too much because if you got the 600 you would have thought the same about the 1200 and so on :smiley: Congrats on the purchase though.

Just had another look, and it struck me that to the northeast of a bright prom on the northwestern limb there is another, very extended, low surface brightness prom. Between the two, faint clouds of plasma can be seen at low magnification. It almost looks like smoke blown from a flame (the bright prom).

Archived