Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher SupaTrak mount set up

Hi,i bought a Mak 127 last year and it came with a Skywatcher SupaTrak mount that i have never used as i have another mount that i use,but now i would like to use it for planetary and lunar imaging as its a lot easier to carry outside than the HEq5 mount and I've lost the instructions on how to set it up,so if there are any SupaTrak mount users out there who could help i would be most grateful.

Cheers

Steve

Get it level, pointing north, enter the correct data for date and time and location (in the correct format), do a star alignment, and hey presto, jobs a good un.

Jd

The Supatrak mount doesn't have the Synscan handset only the simple Syntrek type.

(Some people don't point it north first, i always did)

The need to start the AZ GOTO level and North isn't a requirement anymore.

If I recall you level the mount, point it North with the scale on 0, then aim it at Polaris or set the latitude. Then power it off and On. That gives it the Home Position.

Just not sure if at subsequent uses you start with the OTA level, or the OTA aimed at Polaris. Either way it will have to be pointed North.

I would guess Level, just no idea why, someone better read the instructions.

If you relocate some distance North or South then you would have to repeat the bit above.

Interesting. How does it cope if it's not level with a one star alignment?

Jd

I don't,t think the az-goto has a 1 star alignment. The alignment options are brightest star and 2 star. For the brightest star method the operator chooses the area of sky to start in and the handset selects the brightest star in that area. The operator then slews the mount over to the star using the directional keys, centers the star and then presses enter to accept. The handset then gives you a choice of second star to align on. The handset then takes over and slews the mount to the star and the operator then centers it and presses enter to accept. The az-goto doesn't have a true "home position" like the Eq's, the handset uses the position of the first alignment star for the home position. The only requirement is for the mount base to be leveled up so that the azimuth axis is vertical.

Yes, that is what i meant when i said level, the tripod and mount should be level.

I had great fun with my az goto mount once i got my head around it (and once i didn't care that it was quite noisy!).

Janes

Archived