Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky watcher auto focuser

I purchased an auto focuser by SW the other week and after I fitted it on to my 200p I tried it in the house and it worked brilliantly. The weather has been bad but when I took it out a week later when the weather turned for the better it would not work at all. The upshot of this was on changing the battery it worked. I put the best durecell money can buy into it and some how it had drained all the power in less than a week. Now I remove the battery after use but has anyone else had this problem? Do you think I have a problem with this focuser ?

Regards....Geoff

The only trouble I have had with mine, which is now a few years old, is the buttons. Press one of them in fully and nothing happens, so you think the battery is flat - but if you carefully only press half way (ish) in then it works.  I suggest you get a cheap battery tester and see if the old battery really is flat.

NigelM

the skywatcher auto focuser uses a simple dc voltage regulator circuit to drop the 9v to the 6v required to drive the motors,with a small set of push switches.

there is plenty of room in the case to install a simple switch, between the positive and the circuit board inside, it cured the issue of flattening batteries for me

btw its am lm617 voltage reg circuit 

Thanks for your suggestions concerning my problem. I will check if the battery is flat as I still have it. Also checked the focuser for undue stiffness and it was very smooth. Nillchill, I presume the switch was put in just to make sure the thing is turned off so to speak ? Zedds, does that unit you refered to mean I can run the focuser from my computer ?

Zedds, does that unit you refered to mean I can run the focuser from my computer ?

Yes mate, that was another reason why I bought it and that's how I use it. Great bit of kit.

Nice one Zedds, maybe you could help with another query ? I am thinking of getting that box for eqmod to run my scope. I noticed that it had a 12v supply to it but my motor kit is 6v would this fry my mototrs or is it stepped down from within the box ?

Archived