Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sunday Morning Sun

Pig

Another cracking day ahead of us by the looks of it :smiley:

Prominences

Some intense action going on in the 9 O'clock position there are 4 cracking proms shooting off together, they are not as protruding as they have been in recent days but they are very wide. There is also a nice fine prom developing in the 3 O'clock position that has started to protrude to quite dramatically.

I am not going to comment on there shapes etc but I can make out quite a few :grin:

Sunspots

There are still a few of the regulars hanging about showing some intricate detail when zoomed in with the Nagler. However, they appear to be diminishing at the moment.

Surface Detail

The surface detail is looking absolutely spectacular today, I have not seen the sun so orange before, the Ha is really showing itself today.

The granulation is also peppered right across the whole disc and is playing silly games with my eyes, it a bit like the old Kaleidoscope effect,

plenty of swirl footprints are also apparent and are contributing to the hypnotising effect :laugh:

The huge dark filament just above centre that appears to have invoked its squatting rights is still there, and has been for quite a few days now.

Hope you all get a good session in.

Just In from the Garden,

In H/a, that large filiament looks as if it has disengaged from the Surface and is drifting slowly west as a separated cloud.

One of the prominences at each end appear to be spreading at the top into a T shape.

W/L - Granulation is very marked, and the faculae at either limb are extensive. Though as you say the biggest spot-groups

are already round the limb, the ones still showing are complex and well worth an ogle.

Mick.

Totally agree, lovely day so far.

Must be said though that I have spent large parts of it staring at a wobbly laptop screen as I try my first attempts at solar imaging...

Great fun though and not as frustrating as I thought.

Back to observing for the last bit of the day...

K

Shaun,

Not sure about the forgiving part... :eek:

There is something relaxing about just looking. Adding in technology and my technical incompetence and it's a recipe for stress and potential disaster with me.

Really happy that I just got it all to work. Need to crack focusing and tuning through the camera now. Then there is all that processing. The guys in the imaging section make it look so easy and produce such wonderful results.

Very much looking at this as a summer project. Even managed my first solar sketch (taking up Umbraldot's challenge), nowhere near good enough for publishing but I actually found that quite relaxing too.

One thing I really noticed today however is difference temperature makes. The pressure tuner was less stiff and easier to tune but the thermals coming off the city were playing havoc with my eyes.

Still, there's a lot still going on up there, some lovely proms, filaments and active regions.

Enjoy!

Kieran

Archived