Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A good night + very frustrating

A very pleasant  three hours last night; great views of M15, M3, & M87; a new one for me was M53 in Coma, really came alive with averted vision. As I noted in `Astronomy Now` magazine, a current great object is also NGC 6543 (Cat Eye) .  My ongoing frustration though is because our garden is basically North Facing I have been unable to view Saturn yet. I can get the scope to look over the house roof in a southern sky, but nowhere near low enough for Saturn; and when at about 01.00am it moved to clear the house it was obscured by out Beech tree!! The only view I have had is at 22x mag with my Spotting scope from the upstairs bedroom!!

my south facing garden has a lot of LP but I can view Saturn easily when the clouds part
my back garden is not so heavy with LP but a lot of sky blocked by Flats and other houses
and I live at the bottom of a dip so everything behind me is way above me but I view from both when needed

can you not take the scope out the front just for saturn. The lp shouldn't be so severe on planets as it will be on dso's ?

Yes, that is a reasonable suggestion, and I did actually do that on the following night. The houses in the road are all on that side with their lights being quite a problem but still do-able; also there are a fair amount of cars coming and going with their lights shining right into my scope. So I did do Saturn after all, but it was brief and not an altogether relaxed and pleasant experience; It was still a joy to see though.

Archived