NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gitzo Series 5 GT5532S Carbon Fibre Tripod Review

Many an astronomer has been guilty of underestimating the importance of a solid base to a successful night of astronomy and when travelling, especially to foreign lands in search of dark skies, this can be a real problem.  The simple fact is astronomical tripods are often very large and extremely heavy which can be a real stumbling block when an aircraft baggage allowance is the limiting factor.  When putting together my airline portable equipment I discovered the Gitzo Systematic Series 5 GT5532S Carbon Fibre tripod and believe it is an excellent choice for the travelling astronomer. With a closed length of less than 63cm and weight of only 2.8kg, it travels easily, but with a load capacity of 40kg and fantastic torsional rigidity, it provides a very stable base for high power observing.

You can read the full review here. http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2014/05/15/gitzo-systematic-series-5-gt5532s-carbon-fibre-tripod-review/

Please let me know what you think.

Clear Skies,

post-24651-0-71691600-1400321682_thumb.j

I have a couple of Gitzo CF tripods, the 1541T & a series 2 leveller, primarily for photography, but I do use the series 2 for grab n go visuals with a small refractor. & I have used the 1541 with an astrotrac & DSLR + 70-200L f2.8 (& other smaller lenses) for widefield imaging overseas. I agree that they are great when size & weight is an issue. I've been looking longingly at the bigger Gitzo systematics for a while now, for photo/video/timelapse use, & now you've just reminded me of another potential use - to put a small EQ goto head on.....thanks ;-)

Just a word of caution though, I did read somewhere on line about a design issue with the Systematics which can result in the payload working loose & dropping to the ground, don't want to scare you or anything, & I can't recall the details, but you might want to do some googling on that - there is a simple fix for the issue involving twisting a bit of wire through/around some part of the systematic to stop it unscrewing. Check it out before you suffer a failure!

I believe that is an issue that the previous generation of Gitzo tripods suffered from.  I had come across some chatter about it.  The redesign (so in my case the GT5532S vs the older GT5531S) now features a safety release catch which must be pressed before the top plate can be removed, even after the grip has been loosened by using the inbuilt ratchet lever.  But certainly something all should be aware of it a second hand model is purchased and it is of the older design.

I have a big Gitzo CF I cannot recall the model which I used to use my 500mm F4 on with a 1DS Mk2, that must be around 6 kg, it is solid as a rock, I was thinking of getting some sort of adaper for my 10.5 X 70 bins. Gitzo tripods are dear but very good in my books

The 40kg liimit is extremely conservative... i have been know to swing of my 5542LS.... And I'm by no means of the imagination a lightweight....

One thing to watch is the locking grub screw in the silver bosss.. with some manfrotto heads that have the multiple ramp style on the base it can fall through jamming the head to the gitzo plate... replace it with a longer cap screw... If not yo have to try and get the usually mangled screw to screw back out...

Oh... and the small hex screw that hold the locking lever handle on can work lose so keep an eye on it... Theres a small hole in the endcap of the locking lever through which you can tighten the screw that that holds it in place...

Peter...

I also have a series 5 tripod which my 600 f4 sits on. Its about 3 generations old but as solid as a rock. Fantastic kit.

Same here regarding the older model (GT5541LS)...except I use mine with my 500mm not 600mm.

The only thing I don't like about them (and it affects other manufacturers as well) is getting sand in the joints...though it is quite easy to strip down, clean and lube up....this can be mitigated by getting the Gitzo "Ocean" range, though they cost an arm and three legs...

Mathew,,

With a max tripod height of 52",  where does that put the alt pivot point for the mount in use? Do you utilize a chair while observing?

The max height of the tripod is 52" (132cm).  With the Tele Optic Ercole Alt Az on top, the pivot point is 57" (145cm) as you can see in the accompanying photograph.  When viewing near the horizon, the eyepiece height is 63.5" (161cm) and though I am 5' 11", I need to rotate the EP to be able to use at this height.  Conversely, at the zenith, the EP height is 44.5" (113cm).  I do not use a chair  as really that would only be comfortable within 10 degrees of the zenith and tend to bend forward slightly when viewing in that area.

post-24651-0-28157700-1400405626_thumb.j

Clear Skies,

Archived