Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planning questions

Wikiastro

Hi guys,

post-35179-0-39069200-1400093837_thumb.j

I've got a detached garage at the back of my house that it is impossible to get a car into (the gap between ours and the neighbours house is too small, and the garage is built at an angle - hilariously, the previous owner was a builder!).

I'm think of doing something with this and building a bit of a warm room in there as at the moment it is just a large skip with a door on it.  It has a door and a few windows down the side, and I was wondering if anyone knows about planning permission/building regs.  I don't think I need to worry about planning as it is already built, and I'm not making structural changes outside - I'm even keeping the garage door as it makes a nice workshop in my summer hols (teacher!).  I do wonder about building regs and such as I'll be putting in a stud wall or two inside and putting in a ceiling too. 

Anyone have experience/knowledge here?  I'm a bit lost.

WikiGamer.

As far as I know, you can do whatever you like inside to "decorate" the garage as long as you don't alter the outside in any way.  But then again, I may be wrong!  Best thing to do is phone the planning office at your local council and explain exactly what you want to do.  Don't tell them you want to make it into a "warm room" as they may summise that you want to make it habitable which is definitely not allowed!!!  Maybe "hobby room" would be better - and still be truthful.

Roger has it spot on - call your local planning office and get it from the horses mouth. There are so many variances and nuances to local planning laws and there may even be restrictions on your current property and and associated consent previously granted.

Hi,

I have done exactly that , partitioned off a room in my detached garage, as a warm room, and built a pier outside about 5 mts away, work great, built a stud wall and plasterboarded the walls, already had power in there and the window was at the right end too.

You don't need any permission at all, I asked the question, and the planning office all but laughed at me, for asking.

So go ahead and do it.

MM

Archived