NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New M42 with more subs

trevboyd

Added some more subs last night (12 Feb) to the ones I got on 8 Feb to bring the total to over 23 mins. I think it 's improved things a lot.

SkyWatcher 120mm f/8.3 achro, EQ-5, Canon 350D, 40x4s, 22x9s, 22x14s, 16x19s, 5x29s, 3x60s @ ISO-800

3719_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Trev

Trev,

That's coming along nicely - had a go at M42 last night myself and will be posting probably this evening.

Have you thought about uping the ISO to 1600 to get some fainter detail? - your scope at F/8.3 will affect your capture time over a faster scope - I guess though you're limited to about 1 minute subs max, like myself, as its unguided.

BTW - what are you using for stacking - DSS? Registax? other?

cheers

RB

Thanks for the kind words Roy and Martin. :D

Roy, I have considered ISO-1600 but tried to not use it to keep noise down a bit. Probably worth trying it anyway to try and get some more detail on the edges. I've found that I can just about do 90s subs if I get a reasonably polar alignment (but now I need a polar scope to improve that a bit more too - currently just putting Polaris near the centre of the hole in the mount! :lol:)

Stacked in DSS - I find it nice and easy to use - point it at the light and dark frames and let it get on with it! :D

Trev

Archived