Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS lenses on ZWO ASI120MC camera.

tekkydave

Update:

I have located one by Teleskop-Service which is being sold by 365Astronomy for £51.60.

http://www.365astronomy.com/ts-ccd-adapter-for-canon-eos-lens-to-t2-with-145mm-optical-length-p-3899.html

Currently out of stock so placed on back-order.

I think this is the cheapest option in the UK and it comes with three T2 extension rings to get the correct focus distance.

Only cheaper option would be to make it yourself but I don't have the equipment.

My ASI120MC has a CS-mount fitting as well, so one of these with a 5mm C to CS fitting might work if you can find one  that will ship to the UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-EF-EFs-lens-to-C-Mount-Film-Movie-Bolex-Video-Camera-CCTV-Adapter-Ring-/321292437097

Unless they don't provide the CS mount any more?

James

I have the recent model with an M42/T2 thread on the front of the case. I haven't noticed a CS-mount thread anywhere. The all-sky lens supplied with the camera has a T2 thread on the rear.

My camera has a threaded piece that screws into the T2 thread, with a C/CS thread on the inside.  The CCTV lens that came with the camera fitted into that.  It may not be the same any more.  Mine was one of the early ones.

James

I have just had another look and behold - the rear part of the CCTV lens screws off and is indeed a T2 to C/CS adapter. I only just realised it. Oh well, I wanted to attach my Canon EOS lenses to it anyway so no problem. Thanks for that James - I might look out for a C/CS mount fisheye for it aswell :grin:

post-28249-0-11820200-1399477502_thumb.j

My thinking regarding the C-mount is that it will help get the spacing correct.  An EOS-to-C mount adaptor should give the correct spacing to bring the EOS lens to focus 12.5mm (I think) behind the mount.  A C-to-CS spacer will take another 5mm off that and bring the EOS lens to focus on the ASI camera sensor.

With the EOS-to-T2 converter you'd still need to make sure of the spacing to get the lens mounting flange 46mm (?) in front of the sensor (and woe betide you if it's already more than 46mm :(

James

The one I have ordered has three T2 extension tubes of 6.8, 13.8 and 28.1 mm plus the 14.5mm of the 2 halves of the adapter (total 63.2mm) so I should have enough to play with (I hope).

(I should point out that I've never actually tried this myself.  I am rather assuming it will work out the way I propose.)

James

Ha ha. Ill let you know how I get on when the adapter has been delivered. I have the stock 28-55mm lens and an 18-200mm lens.

I now have the T2/EOS adapter and I can get the stock Canon 18-55 lens to focus using the middle extension tube (13.8mm). It doesn't hold the focus if the zoom is adjusted which is a bit strange but at least it will focus at some focal lengths. Not sure what I will be using it for yet :grin:

• 5 years later...

This seems like the obvious choice to me now, assuming the spacing works out for your camera:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8739_ZWO-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-lenses-to-ASI-cameras.html

Or this looks like pretty much the same thing:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4511_TS-Optics-CCD-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-lenses-to-T2---26-33-mm-length.html

They're on ebay as well by the looks of it, but possibly more expensive.

James

• Like 1