NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A new astro term....PIGS

PIGS stands for Premature Indication of Good Seeing.

Does anyone else get this? I swing over to an object like Saturn and at first I think 'yes- gonna be good' then I centre and focus properly and find it's PANTS - Possibly After all Not Terrific Seeing!

The young moon is a good indication of seeing I noticed. Even with the naked eye you can figure if there's a degree of thin layer of clouds and so on...

And the new LED lights, they're good indicators of the level of humidity in the air...the bigger the halo the more the humidity...just my impressions.

Twinkling stars or at least the absence there of can be the sign of nice seeing, but not always. So this might be classified as a PIGS.  :smiley: What I have noticed here, being under a flightpath, is if you get persistent con trails this can be a good indicator of steady seeing, although you then have the problem of seeing past them  :rolleyes:

Their is a much simpler way to test the seeing in the uk.

Look straight up, and if rain does not hit you in the face then the seeing will be pants.

This phenominon is known as...TEA or Terminal Eye Ache

Angry of Sandown

Would that we had more opportunity to even observe a PIGS. Round here you get an occasional NICE (Notional Indication of Clear Evening), you shlep your kit out only to find that it's actually another evening of BALLS as usual (Balham's Atmospheric Light Levels Shocking).

Archived