Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12.5mm Illuminated reticule eyepiece

Mark_C

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy an illuminated eyepiece to help with polar alignment, however most of the ones I have seen online are in excess of £55. I have noticed that there are illuminated eyepieces selling on eBay for £40 inc delivery and was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with them? They seem to appear very similar to the Celestron Crossaim.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-Illuminated-Eyepiece-with-a-12-5mm-Focal-Length-/140938461884?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item20d09642bc

Thanks,

Mark

I have one of those. It does the job BUT you see a lot of "bits" when it's turned fully up and the focus is a bit off. When I say focus, I mean - you have to turn the top ring to get the cross hairs in focus. Having said that it does work ok. I tried cleaning it but to no avail. For the money it's ok but can't comment on the Celestron one.

If, like me, you have the illumination set low, you don't see the "bits".

Peter

I have one of those. It does the job BUT you see a lot of "bits" when it's turned fully up and the focus is a bit off. When I say focus, I mean - you have to turn the top ring to get the cross hairs in focus. Having said that it does work ok. I tried cleaning it but to no avail. For the money it's ok but can't comment on the Celestron one.

If, like me, you have the illumination set low, you don't see the "bits".

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I think I may take the plunge and buy one. At the end of the day it will only be used to centre the object in the eyepiece and nothing more. Unless there is something drastically better about the more expensive options, I don't see the point in paying out heaps of money for what is essentially an illuminated crosshair. :(

hi mark, i picked up the very same, from the same seller. like the other comment, it does what it says on the tin, and functions perfectly. i don't get any blurry bits on mine. but to be honest, it's only used to help you align more accurately, and that's all you would do with it.

on a second note,

that seller your looking at, has a selling strategy of listing different items over the weeks at a starting bid of 50 pence.

i picked up that EP your looking at for £14 inc p&p. might be worth the wait 'n' see.

bernie

hi mark, i picked up the very same, from the same seller. like the other comment, it does what it says on the tin, and functions perfectly. i don't get any blurry bits on mine. but to be honest, it's only used to help you align more accurately, and that's all you would do with it.

on a second note,

that seller your looking at, has a selling strategy of listing different items over the weeks at a starting bid of 50 pence.

i picked up that EP your looking at for £14 inc p&p. might be worth the wait 'n' see.

bernie

Thanks for the heads up on that Bernie, I'll keep an eye out! :)

Archived