Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 synscan upgrade excessive play in motors

Dave_D

Just a small tip for anyone experiencing excessive backlash on EQ5 upgrade motors (don't know if it applies to standard EQ5 motors though). At first i thought it was the worm having too much play until i noticed the centre gear in the pic below had a slight 'wobble'

IMG_20140504_195547_zpsmzwutrlm.jpg

I found that there are two small grub screws on the motor that hold the spindle for the centre gear in place. I loosened the two grub screws and applied firm finger pressure to the top of the spindle while activating the dec motor at it's fastest slew speed. I kept pressure on the spindle and re-tightened the two grub screws and now, no play whatsoever in the gears.

Hope it helps if anyone is having a similar problem. I've got my fingers crossed that this is what was causing the problem with PHD in that when it was 'counting down' on the dec callibration, it would get half way through it's count before the star started moving back to the centre of the square.

• 1 month later...

Archived