NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 27 and 28 April

Moonshane

no worries Steve, it's nice when details finally pop into sharpness!

Ain't that the truth!  That cloud over Olympus Mons is pretty amazing and wish I could see it first hand.  Nice sketches.

I managed the Polar Cap for the first time on Monday night by a fluke:  was tracking Mars around 11pm while the scope cooled and left it for a bit.  When I get started with the observation, a high (cirrus?) layer of cloud was growing and had developed into a medium layer.  I was still tracking manually, and though I couldn't see it naked eye, it was showing up in the 130P @ 130x.  At that level of filtering, the Polar Cap was really, really obvious, as a white pimple at the 5 o'clock position.  Thrilling!!!  Of course, other details were lost, but I hadn't spotted the Cap under good conditions probably because the disk was too bright without use of filters. 

I agree Kevin, the detail on Mars does benefit from filters. I was using a 6" f11 dob for these two nights, on an equatorial platform which also helps. the filter I use is a light pollution type filter - Baader's Neodymium. it's very good for the moon and Jupiter too. the 6" is a lovely scope and I was lucky to get one as they are not common. on the 29th I was getting 250x with good detail remaining.

Nice sketches Shane. I also saw that white patch last night but I took the area to be Elysium Planitia and the location of Elysium Mons rather than Olympus Mons. Maybe I've got that wrong though :huh:

Good to see that confirmed Shane about, as I had not seen that feature before, clearly it was a clouds over Olympus monts, I wasn't sure, it did look very white indeed so makes more sense that it would have been.  Did anyone also notice the area around south side near the cap( Dob view) , I needed bigger mag to make it out to be sure. Those finer details surrounding the cap were clearly visible, more than just a little white splodge.  I was using the 10 inch Dob to see it.

I'll attach a little photo I attached to my notes, there was some great detail on display on the whole but seeing that fine detail around the cap was a site to behold :smiley:

post-30537-0-95555500-1398860488_thumb.p

Nice sketches Shane. I also saw that white patch last night but I took the area to be Elysium Planitia and the location of Elysium Mons rather than Olympus Mons. Maybe I've got that wrong though :huh:

Having checked the timings and map I think you are right John, not that my Martian geography it that good!

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes me too :huh:

edit: after double checking map I think it is Elysium too,  sorry I quoted Shane's Olympus, but meant  Elysium in my previous post also.

Having checked the timings and map I think you are right John, not that my Martian geography it that good!

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we come to have the SGL outing to Olympus Mons we'll have to flip a coin over who does the map reading Stu :grin:  

There was excellant detail around the pole last night as you describe above.

This was the second time I used the Baader filter and it makes a huge difference.

I was using my 400p with a 5mm X-cel EP plus filter. The views were fantastic.

Archived