Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Low end CCD or Canon DSLR

RichM63

OK the record is not stuck, just skipped a track.

From what I gather, with my lowly mount I should steer clear of an ST 80 and go with a finder/guider.

Of these 2 is there a practical preference. I will also use it on a full manual non goto rig as a finder.

1, 50mm 1.25" focuser

2, 60mm 2" focuser

or is there a very cheap method of attaching an ST80 to the OTA to perform finder/guider function without the budget for €69 guide rings as well as scope?

Cheers,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am seriously looking into this because my budget does not allow for ifs and buts.

Now I find that there are 70/500, 70/900, 80/400, and 90/910 all equiped with guide scope rings. from TS.

For a + basic guide/finder what would you do?

Cheers,

Confused,

Rich

Interesting experiences in this thread. For the DSO imaging question personally I must be lucky as I don't suffer from vignetting using my 600D on my SCT 9.25 using a purpose designed direct T adaptor on a 1.25" visual back, flats, lights or darks. I do have to attend to it though if I use a FF/FR.

Certainly I am now looking for a used Canon rather than CCD.

The guide problem arises from the fact that I don't have a 9x50 to convert and thus need to buy something not only suitable but also future proof.

A small refractor appeals because it can double as an in-car scope on the EQ3 and also be used for wildlife. (which I have a lot of, from deer to whales).

• 2 months later...

Moving forward, patience being the key when collecting kit on a tight budget.

From a post I made in an unrelated thread, a member spotted a comment I made about the difficulty of not really having a decent local second hand market and the rarity of finding a good used ST80.

He very kindly sent me a PM, asking if I might be interested in a little used ST80 + various accessories.

Emails back n forth with pictures and a very honest and open Q&A series.

A deal was struck. Payment arranged, postage details sorted out, and yesterday 3 days in advance of the advertised delivery, the following arrived in perfect condition.

ST80 + rings, end caps etc.

Flight case,

WO 45° Amici Prism

Celestron Solar filter,

and lastly, the absolute bonus of a beautifully constructed DIY Lifecam HD + IR filter. This little beauty looks like it came right out of a factory, complete with screw in end caps.

A big thanks to member Robny for having the patience and trust to deal with a cross channel transaction and for being totally honest with his descriptions, above and beyond what he could have got away with (its not as if I could nip round and sort things out if things were not right).

Thank you Rob. :)

Evidently this forum does work!

The Kit;

post-34135-0-02484900-1407922681_thumb.j

Archived