Best locations

I'm just starting out and buying my first telescope in the next week or so and I wondered if anyone could suggest the best locations in South Northumberland to view the night sky. I want to get away from the light pollution of Cramlington, Blyth etc. Is it best to head inland or toward the coast. I'm worried about the sea air affecting the lenses over time (as it has with my camera lenses).

Any advice is welcome.

The A193 Blyth to Whitley Bay Rd looks useful and is close to you.

However salt air and scopes are not the best combination.

Inland looks better except for distances.

What is Northumerlandia like at night?

Thinking there will be car parks and areas to set up in, equally they may have lights and car parks mean people even at night.

I am guessing that Kielder is too far to head off to on a regular basis.

What is Plessy Woods like up the A192?

Clubs in your area ?

My first look would honestly be Northumberlandia and see if there is anything that suits. If they dump any lights at nights and the car parks are open, suitable and empty it could be worth a thought.

Many thanks Ronin. The suggestions you've given are ones I've thought of too. Northumberlandia would be suitable I think and I may try there first. I know they do close the car park at night but you can still get access on foot at all times. I do travel around the north east to take photographs so distance is not too much of a problem. Once I have my scope I will venture out and see what I can find.

A suitable location can be the oddest of places. One I use is close to a big motorway roundabout - a well lit roundabout, and on (fractionally off) a main road, conveniently close to home. But it is very good for setting up and viewing, it is odd how short a distance you need from lights to get resonable viewing.

Another is the access road to an RSPB reserve, good flat open views and little light (a few curious animals at time). They have also just resurfaced the road. Visited the place for some time before it dawned on me how good for taking a scope there would be.

Looks like a small reservoir the other side of the A1 at Seaton Burn, any parking and access to that?

I see that Newcastle Airport is a bit close to there.

Hi, you are perhaps best heading inland, though the coastal areas along North Northumberland will be very good, but as Ronin has indicated there will of course be salt air to contend with.

I head to locations on or in the vicinity of Hadrians Wall, or North towards Otterburn, though if you can get as far as Kielder (Elf Kirk) the sky will be more completely screened from the distant light dome, largely from Tyneside. Another consideration would be to join a regional club. I am a member of Sunderland Astro, they meet at Derwent Reservoir - close to North Pennine Moors. I am a bit old school and tend to use OS maps and look into locations I know well from walking / cycling trips.

Looks like it might be clear skies this Friday (fingers crossed). If SAS are meeting, I could pass onto you the details if you like and notify them, though they are also contactable through Facebook (not registered on that myself). I am as yet undecided if I will be joining them at Derwent or heading else where.

Many thanks Scarp15. I work various shifts so will not be available this weekend but thank you for the offer. I think I may try the Hadrians wall area near Crag Lough as I know it best from walking/climbing and see how I get on. Do you know of any clubs in the Cramlington area?

Clubs seem to be limited, 2.

One at Keilder, the other at Broomhill, up the A1068.

Astro Clubs

What makes this "difficult" is knowing how far someone else would drive to a site for what is a casual evenings observing.

I tend to think around 20-25 miles, some will be thinking of a max of 10, others 40-50.

Clubs seem to be limited, 2.

One at Keilder, the other at Broomhill, up the A1068.

Astro Clubs

What makes this "difficult" is knowing how far someone else would drive to a site for what is a casual evenings observing.

I tend to think around 20-25 miles, some will be thinking of a max of 10, others 40-50.

It depends perhaps on the circumstances at your home location. Typically I will drive between 40 and 55 minutes to reach a suitable dark destination. It becomes worth it if the location is very good, it can then become quite habit forming. In my own circumstances, Newcastle is at least a fairly compact city and I live within the North side Gosforth area, so I find access to reach main roots heading North West or West to be easy. Often these roads are quiet of traffic, so the journey itself is fairly pleasant.

I'm in Lobley Hill and have just bought my first scope - clouds ever since. 

I'm planning to be alone in my back garden for my first few sessions so that I don't embarrass myself - then I might venture out and meet a few more experienced folk once I can set the thing up consistently!

Hope the clouds keep away to some extent on Friday...:)

I'm going camping at Haltwhistle this weekend. Supposed to be good there but having never visited the camp site before I'm not sure if they have bright safety lights on the site.

I think I have passed the campsite you are referring to, Just North of Haltwhistle, not so far from Cawfields, small farm campsite. If so then I dont think that lighting is an issue. However I am planning on possibly camping near to Haltwhistle myself sometime in the Summer (Doing the Sustrans Hadrian Cycle Way with my daughter) so would appreciate a PM with any feedback

Cheers 

I think I have passed the campsite you are referring to, Just North of Haltwhistle, not so far from Cawfields, small farm campsite. If so then I dont think that lighting is an issue. However I am planning on possibly camping near to Haltwhistle myself sometime in the Summer (Doing the Sustrans Hadrian Cycle Way with my daughter) so would appreciate a PM with any feedback

Cheers

Ok, no problem.

Living just north of Newcastle, there are a number of areas within a 30-60 min drive from here that I think would be suitable. Whether it's north towards Bamburgh or a bit further inland toward Rothbury. I'm sure I'll find somewhere suitable to park the car and look up! Has anyone on here combined hillwalking and looking at the sky? I'm curious if anyone has walked into the hills in the lakes or Scotland for a night in complete darkness away from any light pollution. Am I being too adventurous and would weight be a problem to carry a telescope and mount any distance?

I am a keen hill walker and have wild camped in Scotland many times, though I have never taken binoculars, or a telescope. There are potentially some locations in which you could discreetly camp out for the evening taking all your gear, I am considering using a small tent for an over night trip next winter.  Another consideration would be to attend a regional star party such as that at Kielder in the Autumn.

The car park at Simonside would be good potential location for a session, as long as it is not too windy - which is another consideration when selecting a site to travel to.   

Archived