NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mirrormakers

I have a REVELATION 200m/f.6 Newtonian on a Dob base, acquired from TELESCOPE HOUSE a few years ago. Does anyone know if the Rev. mirrors are produced by the same maker as SKYWATCHER mirrors? Are they, in fact, identical mirrors?

I also think the Revelation and GSO either are the same or have a major tie-in with each other.

Don't think anyone has actually said or identified for sure who Skywatcher source their mirrors from, seen it asked a few times.

I suppose that Skywatcher would have to make one bit of their scopes so the mirror makes sense. It is basically an in-house product.

Meade have used GSO items for some time, not sure about the present status, and TS also buy in GSO items either simply as GSO or they have them branded TS in some way.

I suspect that the links between the various names would be an interesting chart.

Are they, in fact, identical mirrors?

- - and ensuing speculation ,,

Depending upon the customer, or the size of a customer's order, might GSO make mirrors in batches and/or to a customer's spec. ?

In which case the quality of a Revelation-GSO mirror might not say anything about a Mead-GSO or any other -GSO mirror,

so it's all boxing in the dark maybe ??

Hmm, thanks chaps. My interest here is to know if Rev. mirrors are as good as SKYWATCHER optics; I've never compared a Rev. with a SKYWATCHER Newt.

My SKYMAX 90 is very good for the aperture, but, of course it's a different animal, so not suitable for comparison.

All the digging I did before purchasing my dob (skywatcher) led me to the conclusion that on the whole they were comparable in optical performance although there were questions over the coatings on the GSO mirrors (cue the onslaught!!!) although these issues are reportedly a thing of the past.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

All the digging I did before purchasing my dob (skywatcher) led me to the conclusion that on the whole they were comparable in optical performance although there were questions over the coatings on the GSO mirrors (cue the onslaught!!!) although these issues are reportedly a thing of the past.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I reckon thats a fair summary  :smiley:

It's the older Revelations / GSO's that seem to have the over-coating problems.

Archived