Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Macbook software

PGA-64

Just got a Skywatch Quattro 10" f/4 in order to further my imaging interest. Does anyone use a Mac for imaging? I'm having a lot of trouble finding suitable software for both capture / camera control / processing. I'm only just getting started but frustration is taking the edge off my enthusiasm. I use a Nikon D5000 DSLR  and wanted live capture / MS Life Cam Studio webcam (definitely a Windows only solution I think for this). I had hoped to process / stack in Photoshop CS5 but the machine tells me you can't stack in the 64-bit version?????!?? 

Any help greatly appreciated

Hi,

I use Nebulosity3 on a MacBook, but this is only for stacking images post capture. I then use Photoshop, still on the Mac, for processing. It should be possible to capture with Nebulosity on the Mac - though not sure about with the Nikon.

For mount control, capture etc, I use a dedicated PC laptop - an acer something or other, £299 from Staples. I also use PIPP and Registax for planetary imaging on the PC.

Hope this helps.

As for frustration.... If you are serious about AstroPhotography, you will have to learn to deal with huge amounts of frustration on a regular basis!!! Be warned though, the elation when it all works and you get a great result is highly addictive!

Ahh there's a thread with Mac software … http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/176721-mac-osx-software/

Nebulosity is a very good starting point as it offers a great overall support, functionality too. For making the step forward then PI offers hard core processing without capture etc. And then there's Software Bisque's The SkyX with the Camera Addon for capture.

The majority of software is going to be cross ported.. so don't expect them to behave like Mac from the ground up… INDI and even some of the linux based capture apps have been ported.

Archived