NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

This filter set any good

Hi Astro Man, colour filter sets don't get used much to be honest.  The other thing is is that this set has a Moon and polarising filter, in night time viewing these both do the same job, can't understand why they have included both.  The other thing I would recommend is always to buy astronomy stuff from a dedicated astronomy supplier like FLO.

Assuming this is the latest version.In this particular set the Moon and Polarising filters are quite different.

The Moon filter in this set should be a Moon/Skyglow. So will act like a light pollution filter, but will give 

a slight blue tint.

The Polarising filter will cut down on more light and give a more neutral colour, but will not reduce skyglow (sodium lights)

If this is the older version of the set that may still be in circulation, then yes it would have included the standard Moon filter

Best check with the seller to ask which Moon filter is included

I agree with Robin - get your filters from a proper astro retailer unless you are familiar with the brand and know exactly what you are buying and what you specifically need. Filters are rarely used in observing except to improve contrast on some very faint dso's or reduce moon glare, and they're used highly selectively in astro imaging and cost a lot more than £5 per filter.

Have a look at FLO's website (or any other reputable astro retailer) to get a good idea of what you need first. Avoid the likes of amazon or ebay for astro accessories until you're confident evaluating equipment and spotting bargains. :)

Hi Cutepetgroomer, I think you will find the 4mm and 6mm ep's will not get used very much, also duplication here with a Moon and polarising filter, I would steer clear. The Celestron set is a better one I think.

Archived