Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation Astro 5x Barlow, is this too much for my setup

my current 2X SW Barlow isn't giving me the detail I want from my imaging

looking around I see a lot of people using the Revelation Astro 5x Barlow and I was surprised at the price (£35 seems very reasonable)

my issues are

1) is this too much for my F5 scope to handle (most likely too much for my 10mm in imaging mode)

2) will the change in the FL make it harder to image due to having to run longer frames times, therefore reducing the FPS count 

(I figured it will need to be at least twice as long as using my 2X to get the same brightness )

3) will I need an extender to achieve focus

any other suggestions form those in the know will be appreciated

I find my 5x Televue Powermate invaluable. It even has the option of being able to thread a t-ring directly onto it. All other barlows of this magnification were unusable for imaging with. Only for the occasional viewing session.The 5x Powermate is Highly recommended.

yeah I seen some work using the teleview's but for now its a bit over my budget
thats why I was looking at the revelation as its 1/4 of the price though I do realize I'll loose out on quality with the cheaper option

Hi just for my input .i,have a sct 9.25 and a 16" dob fl 1780mm I have the Tal barlows x2 works great in both highly recommended,I also,have the x3 Tal , very rarely gets used a 5 x Barlow I would like to see images taken with a x5 not sure if you would need some sort of extension tube

Pat

You might want to take a look at this

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/83788-5x-barlow-review/

Worth a read

Hi just for my input .i,have a sct 9.25 and a 16" dob fl 1780mm I have the Tal barlows x2 works great in both highly recommended,I also,have the x3 Tal , very rarely gets used a 5 x Barlow I would like to see images taken with a x5 not sure if you would need some sort of extension tube

Pat

You might want to take a look at this

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/83788-5x-barlow-review/

Worth a read

A 5x Barlow on the C9.25 would give F/50, which is a bit much, I feel. I do on occasion use a 3x TeleXtender, which gives F/30 in my C8, and is fine on Mars, but only OK on Jupiter.

my current 2X SW Barlow isn't giving me the detail I want from my imaging

looking around I see a lot of people using the Revelation Astro 5x Barlow and I was surprised at the price (£35 seems very reasonable)

my issues are

1) is this too much for my F5 scope to handle (most likely too much for my 10mm in imaging mode)

2) will the change in the FL make it harder to image due to having to run longer frames times, therefore reducing the FPS count 

(I figured it will need to be at least twice as long as using my 2X to get the same brightness )

3) will I need an extender to achieve focus

any other suggestions form those in the know will be appreciated

I am not quite sure about the stability of the image when a 5X barlow is used on a 200p particularly as it is mounted on an EQ5, however  if you have set your heart on aquiring a 5X barlow so be it. I have a Televue 2.5X Powermate and the quality is outstanding, it is often described as "invisible" but I'd be reluctant to recommend an expensive powermate unless I was sure that scope _ mount combination would be stable enough to make use of the effective FL. A 2m FL scope is a very different beast to a 5m one.

Regads,

A.G

I understand the limits of my mount, that was a compromise I made to get me started
in a month or so when funds are available I will be upgrading to a NEQ6 (looks like the HEQ6 is discontinued) which should make life a lot easier

Archived