Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any ideas?

Not at all. The same camera in our other scopes will not see Alnitak controlled in this way. Besides, my understanding of anti-blooming gates is that they prevent vertical bleed lines from stars rather then general circular bloat around the core.

Olly

Hmm ok. I thought they would reduce circular bloat as well. My misunderstanding of Anti-Blooming then. :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of oiled triplets, from Altair-Astro, of East European origin, either side of 150mm.

140 mm

http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16679&cat=270&page=1

And 160 mm

http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16680&cat=270&page=1

No, I don't know how they perform but as they originate closer to your (Or your friend's) part of the world I put them up for consideration.

Oh, they also do a 180 mm but it's getting a little expensive, and special order.

That's what I thought  :grin: .

I would be very interested in how they *do* perform as I've had my eye on the 160 for when I down-size. I could afford it now, and the mount to put it on, but don't want to deplete my bank balance ahead of time.

This explains it and demonstrates a camera without anti blooming; https://www.astronomics.com/blooming_t.aspx

Olly

Hi Olly and apologies to the OP (Alan) for taking off topic briefly

Found that link quite interesting and it explains an effect i was getting using a internet telescope (Bradford Telescope), regardless of exposure i would get this effect.  Is there any post production that can get rid of this or are these shots considered throw aways.

Sorry once again for taking off topic

Rob

Hi Olly and apologies to the OP (Alan) for taking off topic briefly

Found that link quite interesting and it explains an effect i was getting using a internet telescope (Bradford Telescope), regardless of exposure i would get this effect.  Is there any post production that can get rid of this or are these shots considered throw aways.

Sorry once again for taking off topic

Rob

AstroArt has a deblooming filter on the final 'extras' page of the preprocessing section. I think Maxim can do this as well, and probably others. At one time there were lots of people using cameras like the ST10 without anti blooming.

Olly

Dave,

I don't know too much about them myself, I will see if I can get hold of my mate as I think he has been to the factory. To me they look the business and are probably cheaper than others, . only because of where they are made, don't let that put you off, there are some dam good engineers in this part of the world, I know this firsthand.

Alan

Thanks Alan

I'm not worried about where they're made, only how they perform, which I expect to be pretty darn good, given the specs and description Altair-Astro quote.

There's no great hurry here as I've far more pressing things to worry about. My house is now on the market so house-hunting (And de-cluttering) has become serious.

Archived