NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars Attacks!

Hi all

My first image of Mars, and my 2nd outing proper with astro-imaging. Taken during the opposition on Tuesday - which was also (I'm embarrassed to say) my first *proper* viewing of Mars through a 'scope since I was a kid. Sadly the last 4 years or so since I got back into astronomy Mars has eluded me for one reason or another.

Image taken with a Lifecam Cinema HD mod, 4 minute AVI for the source material.

Unfortunately in my haste to get set up I failed to rotate the cam properly, so although I've mirrored the image to account for the Mak + diagonal setup I was using, the rotation of the image itself could literally be anything. Anyone with any advance knowledge of Mars surface pick out features enough to identify how I need to rotate it, if at all? The thing at the bottom looks quite like a possible polar cap.

Thanks - hope you like it :)

post-8274-0-19702300-1397142986.png

post-8274-0-19702300-1397142986.png

Don't worry about the rotation.  Just tell 'em you were imaging from Australia at the time :D

If you want a "north pole up" alignment though, I think the bit you correctly identify as a polar ice cap should be at the top.

James

Archived