Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 just 14 minutes of data

Amra

Another re-process today with PixInsight, had no idea that much detail was saved in there!

Captured in January 2014 from my home. 28x 30s ISO400 subs, no flats, no darks. Stacked in DeepSkyStacker, processed in PixInsight. 

I'm sad that this was the only data set I captured of the Orion Nebula this season, this is by far the best target I've had for my full spectrum DSLR, I need find some more Ha targets where I benefit from my modded DSLR, anyone got any good suggestions?

Also anyone got any duration tips for subs when Orion comes along again? Shoot some really long subs for outer details and short ones for core detail?

post-28221-0-06113600-1397069781_thumb.j

original first revision, big improvement since then.

If anyone wants to take a stab at the data as well, here's a Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wtiyk1perou3da/M42_28x30sExposures_ISO400.tif

Orion is a fun target. I think you can still capture it now. Its getting low but still up I believe. But you have the right idea for capture time. Short subs for the core, which you have already with your 30sec subs. Longs subs for the outer parts. You can get those teased out with as little as 60sec subs but I would suggest trying to aim for 2min subs at least. This will give you some nice data to play with and really pull out the detail. If you want the really faint stuff in the surrounding area you will need at least 5min subs. I tried to get it with 2min subs and couldn't. I even had 8hrs of data.

Hi, thanks very much for putting it in dropbox.  I haven't bought a scope yet I'm still looking but I am very interested in AP. Not going to run before I can jump though. AP will be way down the line.  I'm looking at tutorials on the various processes. 

Archived