NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ioptron minitower V2 problems

pragmatist

Purchased this mount yesterday and after 2 days of trying cannot get the GPS to work properly, it just says GPS on when it should be saying GPS ok. ALso how do you do an alignment for solar observing, the one star alignment does not come up with the sun as one of it's list objects?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt

No idea about the solar thing, but I had the same problem with the GPS. One thing I read to try and resolve this was to unscrew the top cover, gently pull out the GPS unit and reseat it back in place. SOmetimes the unit seems to work loose, so reseating it makes sure the contacts are sound. This seemed to work for me. I also let it search for a while - go make a cuppa, and it'll often set itself  from on to ok. Be patient, because it  can take 10mins or more sometimes (particularly if I set up really close to the house, or the first time at a new location). Another thing I found was not to rest the Nova hand set on top of the mount - this seems to interfere with the GPS getting proper reception.

Hope that helps!

Mark

My GPS works, but takes up to 15 minutes to fix its position, I just enter it manually now.

Level the mount, it is important to get it dead level.
Slightly loosen the Azimuth clutch, and align the mount South, retighten the Azimuth clutch.
Attach your scope and point it to the zenith, get it as vertical as you can.
Now power up the mount, and use your handset to goto the Sun.
You should now see the Suns disc with a low mag eyepiece, centre it, then sync to target with your hand set.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Brantuk,

I have tried it and yes it works!!! Now to get the mount to point in the right direction ...I think I added both savings time and UT time  as well at +1 I think it should be savings time and UT set at 0000 as I am in Norfolk UK ?

Archived