DSLR with a Heritage 130p

Hello.

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked. I would like to attach a DSLR to my scope if possible.

I understand that its going to be too heavy for mounting straight to the eyepiece alone, and was thinking of using the camera body itself on its own tripod. 

Is that possible? Has anybody done / tried this? were the results any good?

I don't have the DSLR yet, just looking at getting a cheap one (like a Sony A) or should i just sort a decent webcam maybe?

I do already have a Fuji S4800 that i bought at xmas, sadly entirely useless for this use.

Thanks again

Karl.

If you can override everything on the camera so that it is fully manual then you can put the camera on a tripod and take a shot at say:

20 seconds, ISO 1600, you will have to set the focus manually as well.

If the ISO will go to 3200 then try that.

All you will get is wide field images, maybe aim it at Andromeda and see if a blob appears.

After 20 seconds trailing may appear, if it doesn't try 25 seconds.

Being a bridge camera I have doubts that you can set everything manually.

If imaging is what you want to do then you need to consider an equitorial mount with dual motors at least and the mount type. A dobsonian type mount is not relevant.

If you can override everything on the camera so that it is fully manual then you can put the camera on a tripod and take a shot at say:

20 seconds, ISO 1600, you will have to set the focus manually as well.

If the ISO will go to 3200 then try that.

All you will get is wide field images, maybe aim it at Andromeda and see if a blob appears.

After 20 seconds trailing may appear, if it doesn't try 25 seconds.

Being a bridge camera I have doubts that you can set everything manually.

If imaging is what you want to do then you need to consider an equitorial mount with dual motors at least and the mount type. A dobsonian type mount is not relevant.

Thanks, i wasn't planning on using the bridge one tbh, it has a good zoom and brilliant for portability so that'll be my everyday camera.

Ive been looking at Sony Alpha's as due to their compatibility with Minolta len's makes them quite flexible . 

Plus i can get the minolta mounts for it. you can pick them bodies up with a lens for about £70 on a good day . 

Hello.

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked. I would like to attach a DSLR to my scope if possible.

I understand that its going to be too heavy for mounting straight to the eyepiece alone, and was thinking of using the camera body itself on its own tripod. 

Is that possible? Has anybody done / tried this? were the results any good?

I don't have the DSLR yet, just looking at getting a cheap one (like a Sony A) or should i just sort a decent webcam maybe?

I do already have a Fuji S4800 that i bought at xmas, sadly entirely useless for this use.

Thanks again

Karl.

Dont knock the fuji 

my best ever lunar disk was shot with a fuji S2400HD bridge camera

the huge optical zoom it has was awesome.

it also let me capture some nice fireworks exposing for 8+seconds.

take 30 shots each at 8s of the same section of the sky you will be amazed at what your

small bridge camera does pick up photon wise when they are all stacked with a little software magic.

Karl i see your down my neck of the woods ( east coast ) 

have a look on wex website in Norwich, they have had some nice cheap second hand

canon 450D dslr's ranging from £129 to £180, worth a look buddy or a trip to the store.

The S4800 is a lovely camera, no doubt. Ive captured some amazing wildife photos on it, also some pretty good ones of the moon using its 30x Optical.  (profile pic is one example)

I have just picked up a life cam vx-300 for less than a fiver. seems to be a popular choice due to its convenient 1.25 size lens area. 

I don't think the issue so much is the SLR, just the mounting of it to the scope due to the weight of it. 

I've heard of Wex, thank you, I will check it out. 

I have used my canon 1100d prime focus in my heritage 130p with eye piece adaptor (no lens just t thread ring and nose cone) and can say the following:

Weight 500 grams is probably at the top end of what the focuser can handle before sagging or breaking.

A Barlow cannot be used.

The truss has to be dropped about 3 inches to reach focus.

The focuser is not nice to use to try and find focus with dslr hanging off it.

Use a Web cam as the dlsr won't be good for planets (unless support crop video zoom) and with no tracking you are looking at about 1.5 seconds exposure time maximum per shot anyway.

There is one thread where a member was able to get good Jupiter using canon 550d and this scope using video crop zoom.

I have used my canon 1100d prime focus in my heritage 130p with eye piece adaptor (no lens just t thread ring and nose cone) and can say the following:

Weight 500 grams is probably at the top end of what the focuser can handle before sagging or breaking.

A Barlow cannot be used.

The truss has to be dropped about 3 inches to reach focus.

The focuser is not nice to use to try and find focus with dslr hanging off it.

Use a Web cam as the dlsr won't be good for planets (unless support crop video zoom) and with no tracking you are looking at about 1.5 seconds exposure time maximum per shot anyway.

There is one thread where a member was able to get good Jupiter using canon 600d and this scope using video crop zoom and I think m42 as well.

Thank You Happy Cat, this is what i figured. A friend has suggested a Sony Nex  which weigh in between 200-300g.

Might be something to consider at a later date, especially if one crops up as an ebay bargain.

Web cam for imaging the planets is like £5 to have a go and save £12 on top if you make your own nose cone to fit in focuser unit.

The Livecam 3000 already fits in. there is a tutorial on how to open it, unscrew the lens, reassemble, and the thumb screws hold it perfect :)

I see it is mirror less hence lighter. Hopefully you reach focus with out too much trouble but the focuser unit is difficult to adjust with a dslr on it.

Please share your experiences.

(Sometimes i hate swipe it knows how to make a mess of what you type)

haha - thanks Happy Kat. A pro photographer friend of mine suggested it, so hopefully It should work well. 

Now about to order a 1.25 adapter for it. Also it will fit loads of lenses (via various mounts) so hopefully I can get more benefit from it.

I put Nex 5, its actually a NEX 3. (all look the same to me) which they reckon is less than 240g. 

Hoping on some good imaging :)

Web cams are light and cheap. Its about the only way i'd attempt to do any imaging with the Heritage 130P. Any other way, is just gonna be an absolute nightmare. The focuser on the Heritage is the weakest point of what is otherwise a really very good scope.

Archived