NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Images of Dual Solar Set Up

Pig

Thanks Imad.

The AZ 4 does not have "slo-mo" but both clutches are very easy & smooth after a couple of uses. Balance is critical to the smoothness !!  there is no probs following the target.

Both line up spot on with the Sun even with a 6mm eyepiece :laugh:

Great set up Shaun,the bracket turned out very well.

Thank you Gerry, I am very pleased with it

Looks very nice, did you spend ALL the lawn money on the scopes.......... :grin:

I have 2 very big hungry rabbits :grin:  I think I went a bit overboard when cutting it, it looks more like I rotivated it  :shocked:

Nice. Ultimately, I think I'd like to build up a similar set up; I had wondered if one could buy a bracket like you've manufactured. I take it commercial ones don't exist, or that you've access/skill with machine tools?

Nice. Ultimately, I think I'd like to build up a similar set up; I had wondered if one could buy a bracket like you've manufactured. I take it commercial ones don't exist, or that you've access/skill with machine tools?

Andy, thank you.

The "L" shape bracket came with the AZ4 mount but unfortunately the mounting bar isn't long enough for 2 scopes

I looked everywhere but I couldn't find one that was long enough and as a result I had to machine one myself. (There is a  9" one for sale in the SGL classifieds "BigMakstu" . I hope I spelled his name correctly :grin: I don't think he named himself after a burger )

The one in the picture is 12 inches. However, you could get away with a bit shorter if you had the focus knobs orientated vertically in their clamshells as the focus knobs are the widest part of the set up.

It isn't cheap either I would estimate about a £100 to get one made from start to finish ( that's if you have the dovetail bar already ) :shocked:

Humm..looking again. This set-up is gorgeous... :) Stop tempting me dude!! :D  You're the astro sirens .. lOL

Young Imad you do not need me to tempt you :evil:  You are very good at that on your own without my input (go for it Imad :evil:  :grin:)

I must admit I am very proud of the result, and it works great. I must thank the burger man mentioned in the above post for his assistance as I was going to mount it slightly different  :grin:

Thank you James its not turned out too bad, the scopes are very nicely aligned even when using a 6mm eyepiece  :laugh:  The rabbits are always digging holes in the lawn, they also get very cross when I cut it as they cant hide in it.

You can see all the sunspots with white light (the true colour of the sun) you tend not to notice them in Ha

If you use a Herschel wedge as apposed to the Baader solar film, both are white light, you see the filaments of the sunspots that appear to connect the sunspots to the solar surface.

Hence my set up if you want the best of both worlds ( idea suggested to me by burger man :grin: )  you will have to forgive me I have drunk far too much wine, I am just finishing my second pint :shocked:  :evil:

Yes, in white light you see the sunspots quite clearly as dark patches.  Faculae are also visible and some granulation though probably far more readily in images than visually.  Proms and filaments aren't visible.

In H-alpha you can see filaments and proms and a lot of granulation, though I'd say the latter is again harder to make out visually.  Sunspots themselves may show up, but they're not quite as obvious as in white light.  You probably get a much better idea of how active the Sun is from the Ha view.

The other significant difference is that you can view the Sun in white light with pretty much any existing "normal" scope for little more than £20 for the Baader film, whereas an Ha scope can cost anything from £600 to thousands.

It's not just a case of white light or Ha for solar viewing either.  There's also CaK which gives a different view again.

James

Archived