Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturday - Lovely Sunny Morning

Pig

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the one I mean, would you recommend getting one for visual ?

How much was it if you don't mind me asking ?

It cost me £700.00 second hand, checked it out before I purchased.

I suppose viewing is always personal and subjective, but the viewing went to another level for me, and I am well pleased.

I could not comment for Solar photography though, maybe imagers could chip in with their thoughts.

I have the 60 mm Lunt with a B600 filter, standard focuser, pressure tuner and the LS50FHA second etalon.

As I understand it, the B1200 is better for imaging, and thus has a better resale value, but I am never selling my setup.......... :smiley:

I am hoping the 90 mm Rotator will refine the view even further, but I have to wait for that to come..... :sad:

Yes the second etalon is expensive, and should be weighed up against what other equipment you could purchase for the same outlay.

But viewing the Sun for me is fascinating, and I am prepared to pay the price.

viewing the Sun for me is fascinating, and I am prepared to pay the price.

Whilst I have only had a few hours experiencing viewing the Sun through less than optimal equipment I have to agree with this. I look at many DSOs and wonder how much of what I am seeing is what is described by today's scientists. Much of it must be speculation, even if very well informed. But when I looked at the Sun today I realised that it is our only chance to see a star's activity in real time (yes, I know about the 8 minutes) and know exactly what is happening. I want to see prominences because I would be watching something that is happening now.

It's time to sell some surplus kit and buy a Lunt :smile:

Derek I see you too have found the slippery road to financial ruin :grin:

I will say having a dedicated solar scope provides the opportunity for day and / or night observing thus dramatically reducing periods of frustration caused by not being able to use your equipment. 

Derek I see you too have found the slippery road to financial ruin :grin:

I found that years ago, Shaun, and have the wine cellar, library and dark sky astronomy gear to prove it :lol:

My fear is that £700 on a basic Lunt will soon turn into £4k :eek:

This is why I don't want to get into AP :p

Archived