Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Armed ready for the IAS

Being a brand new 'newbie' to the hobby, I have already become very frustrated with a second hand Celestron Astromaster 114eq I've recently aquired. Frustrated at not being able to collimate the 'beast' to 100% satisfaction after following two well documented procedures time and time over, one with corrector lens in and one with lens out on a centre spotted primary.

I was about to chuck the thing out of the window and give up the hobby after only a few weeks until I found this excellent forum.

So, I am now looking for an OTA that will be lovingly cared for as long as it provides me with sharp focus and great end results. Unfortunately, my budget is only going to be around £350-£400 max. (Is this going to be enough?)

I have recently aquired a Celestron CG-4 mount and tripod and have recently also aquired a blinkin hernia......, so I am going to be limited in lifting weights. Although I'd love a 12" Dob (wouldn't we all) I am now looking for something with a five-six inch primary mirror size.

As the size of Jupiter using a 8mm EP lens through the 114eq was the size of a baby pea (at ~60 degree LAT) and only intermittently being able to see a couple of coloured rings when passing through the ultimate sharp focus point, but never hitting it, the new scope is going to need a fine focuser.

The scope will only be used for vision purposes with/without webcam, but I need to see Saturn/Jupiter at being something the size of a marble and not a small pea.

I've been advised to hold off purchasing an OTA until I've been to the IAS at Leamington Spa. If I do this, I will still need to be armed with recommended OTAs' to look at and to make a judgment on at the show. So this is where you guys/gals are being asked for help please.

Will be looking mainly at the planets and moon and a few of the brighter DSOs'.

I like the look of the 127 Skymax OTA, Revelation (GSO) 6" RCA OTA and the SW 150 pro, although this is over budget at £472.

Like all newbies, the equipment out there is overwhelming and your recommendations will be greatly appeciated as this time I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Many thanks in advance.

Tony.

ittone.........Hi................I started with the Celestron 127EQ last October......10 Days later bought the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P and an 8mm BST Starguider. No regrets. 21kgs total weight assembled( 9+12 base) easy over short distance. And that EQ/GEM on the Celestron, wow, what a pain in the Donkey!........get a Dobsonian. Easy set-up, easy use, great value, will last a lifetime, until you want/need that 12"

Skyliner £279 delivered + 8mm BST (to start with) £49.

I've not got a bikini hernia, more like a full blown right across the belly one! This is what stopped me from buying a 200p scope, just too awkward and heavy. Instead I got a 150p and with care is easily managed, even though I've just added an 80mm guide scope on it.

Archived